FORUMS: list search recent posts

Constantly needing to render when editing a clip within a sequence?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyla Tarr
Constantly needing to render when editing a clip within a sequence?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 1:40:39 am

Hi I am just starting out using FCP7 and am stuck with this on issue.

I have imported my media correctly (I think)
I have dragged it into my sequence and begun editing
But whenever I try to extend my clip in my sequence it needs to be rendered... then I move it another few frames and it needs to be rendered again.

Are my settings wrong? Help me prevent this issue!!

Cheers,
Kyla Tarr

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Constantly needing to render when editing a clip within a sequence?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:40:02 am

Firstly you need to be working with a codec that FCP likes for editing. Then the sequence settings need to match exactly the clip codec and characteristics.

So what are your clip codecs and what are your sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Kyla Tarr
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:49:34 pm

My clip settings are 1280 by 720, and the codec is H.264. I have changed the sequence settings to match that and now only some of the clips need to be rendered. What else should I try?

Return to posts index

Kyla Tarr
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:53:43 pm

My clip settings are 1280 by 720. And the codec is h.264. I have changed the sequence settings to match that and now only some of the clips need to be rendered. What else should I try?

I have just looked at the clip settings and they have a different codec than the other clips. Is there a way to match my sequence settings to the separate codecs?

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:50:23 am

Hi, what format is your file? If it's an MP4, it's nothing you are doing wrong. I have been spending countless hours trying to resolve this dilemma myself. This much I can tell you. You need to convert your files. Download MPEG Stream Clip. You can open your MP4 with it - the do a save as. You will see this screen come up. If you do the following settings you can get it into an MOV file that will import into FCP and won't need rendering on your time line. So far, only this setting has worked for me: compression - Apple DV - PAL , put your quality at 100% check box the Interlaced Scaling. When you import that file into FCP, you will see if gives you a terrible looking file, however the flie is workable within the timeline. I have not yet tried out all the settings - I am going to do this down the entire list - So i can fully dislcose which settings work, which don't and which are optimal. FCP is NOT really intuitive - it is nice as far as your effect options and you can get good cuts on it, however, you might even want to consider trying Avid, I'm told it's not as difficult as FCP - there are LOTS of comapatibility issues and that continues once you are trying to get a quality export with your finished product. I'm giving myself one more week to try to reslove this, if not, I am moving onto something better and less time consuming.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:57:46 am

Zoe, converting mp4 files to DV is a poor workflow. Firstly you need to know what the frame size of your original files are. Secondly you need MPEGStreamclip on a computer with Final Cut Pro (6 or 7) installed so you can access ProRes codecs.

DV codec is old and poor quality. It is also stand def and lower field. This is three reasons to never use DV again. Since Apple released ProRes, this is the prefered codec to convert mpeg4 files to.

FCp works best with modern edit codecs like ProRes and standard frame sizes like 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720 and 720 x 480 (if NTSC) or 720 x 576 for PAL.

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:05:58 am

Yes the DV-PAL looks like hell. However, MPEG Stream Clip does not offer ProRes as an option for conversion. I have yet to find an optimal solution for this. My original MP4 files are 10.5 MB and the codec for them is H.264, AAC and knowing this has still not helped me create an optimal working file...yes, I have found 2 solutions already, and I am going to try all versions of outputs that are available to me in MPEG Stream Clip to be able to see what quality they may output, however this really seems to be a very trial and error in order to find something that works. I wish it could be easier, but I have been diligently working on this now for several days and have put in countless hours already.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:16:15 pm

Streamclip does indeed export ProRes Quicktime files. It will actually export any file format that is loaded on your machine. You just have to know how to find the proper settings. Look under the Export to Quicktime tab in the File pulldown menu.ProRes will be in there along with many other choices.
Give yourself some time to get used to the software. It's not all that difficult once you understand how non linear video editing works. Avid will not be any easier for you. Both programs have a steep learning curve, but both make sense to editors who are familiar with the professional editing process. You are at the point where, in many cases, you simply don't know what you don't know. Nothing wrong with that at all. That's how you learn. There are a lot of aspects to editing and a lot of background material that needs to be understood before you are going to be comfortable with the process of editing. Read and ask questions. One question and answer will sometimes save you hours of trial and error experimenting. The COW is a good resource. Ask away!
Final Cut does work and it works very well. There are many of us that make a living with it. Once you get used to it, it's not all that difficult. It just takes time.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]