FORUMS: list search recent posts

Here is how to convert MP4 files and work with them in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Weslowski
Here is how to convert MP4 files and work with them in FCP
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:45:33 am

So, here's one way to get it to work somewhat, but this seems utterly rediculous to me. I did my conversions from MP4 to MOV files using MPEG StreamClip. Then, I imported into FCP 7.0.3. Then, when my clips were listed, I right clicked a converted MOV and went into the Media Manager. In Media Manger I did a recompression using the following settings: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 30p kHz. I chose the location to save the file, did the compression, then it opened a new tab and there was the file. So, I dragged it onto the timeline to see if I would get the Red Rendering bar of I-have-been-trying-to-figure-this-out-for-days, to my surprise, I did NOT get that this time. I was able to view the clip and play it. HOWEVER, there is a green bar above it which would indicate that effects were applied, but I did not apply any effects. So, to make a long story short, I am not quite sure this IS a solution, and I don't know what the implications are for subsequent exporting/rendering at the completion of the edit in regards to what that green line really means.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Here is how to convert MP4 files and work with them in FCP
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:02:53 am

[Zoe Weslowski] "I did my conversions from MP4 to MOV files using MPEG StreamClip"

What FORMAT of .mov? That's like saying "I bought a can of drink." What KIND of drink? Soda? Beer? Lemonade? FCP works with specific formats...codecs. ProRes, DVCPRO HD, DV, DV50...things found in the EASY SETUPS. Unless you converted to an MOV that was one of those formats, FCP will have issues with the clips.

[Zoe Weslowski] "Then, I imported into FCP 7.0.3. Then, when my clips were listed, I right clicked a converted MOV and went into the Media Manager. In Media Manger I did a recompression using the following settings: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 30p kHz"

So you recompressed the footage from MP4 to MOV (into an unknown codec), and then recompressed AGAIN? Dude...convert to ProRes in MPEG STREAMCLIP...recompress ONCE, not twice. You have an extra step in here that is unnecessary, and is in fact, damaging.

[Zoe Weslowski] " I was able to view the clip and play it. HOWEVER, there is a green bar above it which would indicate that effects were applied, but I did not apply any effects."

That also means that the sequence settings and the clip settings do not match. And if you want no render bar, they must match EXACTLY. When you drop the clip into the timeline, click YES when FCP asks "do you want the sequence settings to match the clip settings?"

If you STILL get a green render bar, then something is wrong. And that something can be that the dimensions of the file are non-standard. Meaning ProRes, but 640x480, not 720x486 like it should be. Or 1600x1200, but ProRes. Besides needing specific codecs, FCP also needs specific frame sizes. 720x480, 720x486, 1280x720, 1920x1080. Broadcast standard formats, because it is designed to edit broadcast formats.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:19:50 am

I agree with Shane.
Two generation lost before start editing.
Have a look to the Mp4 specs and think how you wan't to deliver that and make the conversion at once.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:22:24 am

Open one clip in QT and "Cmd-I" to open the clip Info window.
Tell us what do you see there.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:50:41 am

As far as the info on the MP4 clip, it's 10.5MB and codec H.264....there's lot's of other information, what specifically should I be looking for?

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:43:55 am

MPEG Streamclip does not allow you to specify as to specfic formats of MOV files. It simply creates a file as a MOV file. Perhaps there is some specific default MOV file that it produces, but when it exports into QT to produce a MOV file, there is no information upon format or anything like that that I can see. Also, unfortunately, the ONLY way I have found to produce MP4 conversions to MOV files is by doing the double step. MPEG Streamclip does not offer prores in the format options - the only format options are: DV, AVI, QT, and MPEG-4, and several listed under other not including prores. Believe me, if there was a way to do this simply as a one step process without losing quality, I would do that. But as many people have not found a way, I wanted to at least share that there is in fact a way to get it to work, while not optimal, certainly possible.

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:12:29 am

Also, when I drop the clip into the timeline, in the version I am working in FCP 7.0.3, I do not get any prompt to match sequence settings. I have not even found where this information is available so I would not be able to tell if it's any of those: 720x480, 720x486, 1280x720, 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:45:09 pm

[Zoe Weslowski] "As far as the info on the MP4 clip, it's 10.5MB and codec H.264....there's lot's of other information, what specifically should I be looking for?"
In "Format" you should be able to see codec and and picture size.
Is also important "fps" (time base).

If you can't see that in QT player, open the file in MPGStreamclip and "Comm-I" (stream info).

[Zoe Weslowski] "MPEG Streamclip does not allow you to specify as to specfic formats of MOV files. It simply creates a file as a MOV file. Perhaps there is some specific default MOV file that it produces, but when it exports into QT to produce a MOV file, there is no information upon format or anything like that that I can see. Also, unfortunately, the ONLY way I have found to produce MP4 conversions to MOV files is by doing the double step. MPEG Streamclip does not offer prores in the format options - the only format options are: DV, AVI, QT, and MPEG-4,"
Sure it does.
You are trying to "SAVE AS..".
NO.
You have to "Export to QT".

[Zoe Weslowski] "Also, when I drop the clip into the timeline, in the version I am working in FCP 7.0.3, I do not get any prompt to match sequence settings. I have not even found where this information is available so I would not be able to tell if it's any of those: 720x480, 720x486, 1280x720, 1920x1080."
Zoe, you have to learn how to tell which kind of stuff you are working with.
In FC you need to look at the Browser to see codec (compressor), picture size, pixels aspect, field order, etc.
I think you should spend some time with FCs manual.
rafael

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:06:31 pm

Hi Rafael, I can pull up the codec information by simply right clicking on the MP4 file itself, if you mean the picture size it is 1280x720 and the codec is H.264 AAC. I'm not sure what you are referring to as "format" except for the format setting in the easy set up otion on FCP.

I did go back in to QT as you mentioned and exported it. I changed the compression setting to Apple Pro Res 422 (Proxy). I was able to get a file that I could import into the time line without red rendering, but there was a green bar there. There were several other Apple Pro Res Settings: Apple Pro Res 4444, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), and Apple Pro Res 422 (LT). Give my codec and picture size, are any of these more optimal?

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:31:43 pm

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter...

Go to this link , search for Editing Tab and my match your setting with that shown in the image.
And it's best to convert to ProRes LT for projects that are not very effects heavy and meant for DVD video (standard def).

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:48:54 pm

Ok thanks dude! I am checking out the link. As far as effects though, I am using Superimpostions and color changes, is that still a good setting to use Apple ProRes 422 LT if I am using those effects? I am also using a few distortions and maybe a few transitions.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:14:15 pm

[Zoe Weslowski] "I did go back in to QT as you mentioned and exported it. I changed the compression setting to Apple Pro Res 422 (Proxy). I was able to get a file that I could import into the time line without red rendering, but there was a green bar there. "
Go for Prores or Prores HQ.
If you are converting with QT, set Audio "PCM/48Khz".

If you transcode with MPGstreamclip:
In the audio make sure is at 48Khz (default for FC).
Make sure as well that frame size is 1280x720 (unscaled) and you uncheck "Interlaced scaling" and that the "Frame Rate " window is empty.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Happy BoyBaby
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:33:11 am

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert MP4 to DV so as to Import MP4 into FCP/FCE

You will find a detailed guide on how to convert and import MP4 to FCP/FCE:

It is dead easy to import MP4 into Final Cut Pro for editing with the following guide.
It applies to MP4 recorded from various camcorders like Samsung HMX-H100 camcorder, Sanyo XACTO HD1000 Full HD camera, Flip camcorder, JVC GY-HM100, JVC GY-HM700 and more.
It applies to MP4 from media players, mobile phones, portable devices and YouTube etc.
It also applies to import MP4 to Final Cut Express and iMovie.
It applies to import MP4 to Final Cut Pro X or import MP4 to Final Cut Pro 7 or import MP4 to any other version of Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

New Peter
on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:49:46 am

As we know, Final Cut Pro is a non-linear and non-destructive editing software application, it can only import non-destructive video format including DV, HDV, P2 MXF (DVCProHD), XDCAM, and 2K film formats. Nevertheless, the widely used MP4 is lossy format, which is a final delivery file type and is heavily compressed. In order to successfully import MP4 to Final Cut Pro, we have to convert the lossy MP4 to non-destructive format like DV which is compatible with FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]