FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have TRIED EVERYTHING to convert MP4 to work with them on the timeline unrendered!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Weslowski
I have TRIED EVERYTHING to convert MP4 to work with them on the timeline unrendered!
on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:43:04 pm

Hi, I have been frantically searching the net to find a way to convert MP4 files into MOV files so I can work with them on the timeline without having to render them. The reason I prefer to do this is because for the video I am attempting to edit I will have to make frequent changes in the cut to match audio and video, and it will take TONS of time to re-render a clip EVERY time I make the slightest change. I downloaded MPEG StreamClip. It DOES work and converts to .MOV files. I am able to create a .mov file. However, when I got to import this .MOV file into the timeline, once again it shows up red and needs rendering. I have found a very misleading tutorial which falsely demonstrated this not being an issue once dragging that file into the timeline. I was told to click on the media manager and do a compression in ProRes. I did that. That didn't create a file that would be usable. In fact, it didn't produce a file at all, so I am very perplexed by that suggestion at all. I was also told to use Compressor, but I have no idea how to get the files into there and export them, them how it works when you import them again back into Final Cut. I really did not think this would be such a dilemma. There MUST be a solution to this, even if it is not easy and complex, but I really can not find any more additional information upon how to do this exactly.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: I have TRIED EVERYTHING to convert MP4 to work with them on the timeline unrendered!
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:09:13 am

You need to learn some basics about video files - such as, MP4 files ARE .mov files, but they don't play well with FCP. MOV files come in a variety of codecs and it's up to you to choose which codec you want to use. What are your sequence settings? Make sure your sequence settings match the footage you're working with. This 'problem' has been addressed many times in this forum... do a search and you'll find an answer.

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]