FORUMS: list search recent posts

need advice on this one.. exporting footage over 12hrs????

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gilmore
need advice on this one.. exporting footage over 12hrs????
on Nov 28, 2011 at 9:09:42 pm

I put together an awards event that was filmed or a company, they are doing the final editing all i am doing is taking out all the useless footage and then sending them a file of the useable footage... he footage was shot with a 5D so they are in HD .MOV if that matters. So i have about an 1hr of footage, i went to share-export-H.24 (i think is what it is) and it starts exporting.. it's been "Exporting Output File Transcending for over 12hrs now and still going! I used to use Vegas pro and it would never take this long.. anyways I'm still new to FCP Is there a faster way to export this footage??? its going on 13hrs now
Any help would be appreciated thanks!!

Return to posts index

Paul Gilmore
Re: need advice on this one.. exporting footage over 12hrs????
on Nov 28, 2011 at 9:55:27 pm

Now it's saying Remaining time 10hrs & 12mins

Return to posts index

John Young
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:02:36 pm

More info please. How are you "sharing-exporting" ? What program are you using? That will help us answer your question.

My first thought after reading your post was to wonder exactly what you are doing. You are taking H.264 mov files from a 5D and then exporting them as H.264 mov files. I don't know if I understand the purpose of this. Are you combining all of the files into one file? If so, why?

John

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:11:23 pm

Did you convert your 5D footage b/4 editing?
If you had, then choose File Export - current Settings - it would export in 3 minutes.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Paul Gilmore
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:20:29 pm

@Chris I was unaware the footage needed to be converted? how do I do this and will it maintain the quality?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:11:35 pm

SInce you came from Vegas I'll wager you are using your "Vegas Mentality" when editing with FCP...meaning attempting to edit the H.264 files the camera produces right in FCP. Natively. Sorry, FCP 7 (and earlier) doesn't do that well. Not well at all. Will they show up? yes. Can you work with the files? yes. Speedily? Nope.

FCP likes to have media transcoded to formats that are easy to edit...like ProRes 422. Editing the files natively isn't something FCP does well. If you need that ability, you should stick to Vegas, or use Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Gilmore
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:21:02 pm

@Shane I appreciate the input however I'd rather be editing with FCP7 then Vegas. FCP7 is just a different type of program that I have to get used to, that's why I'm here :)

Return to posts index

Paul Gilmore
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:17:30 pm

here's the lowdown.

A company hired a videographer to film an awards ceremony and the company is doing the editing. When the company received the footage it was about 3 1/2hrs. They hired me to sort out the useless footage from the usable to condense the editing time and to send them usable footage as one large file for their editing department. They said their editing department is backed up and does not have the time to do it themselves... I took the job, it's a paycheck... I weeded out the footage and have an hour of usable footage to send them.

I'm using FCP7.. When the project was completed I went to Share-H.264-Export. Like I said it went through 12hrs of the transcending, now it's saying remaining time 9hrs & 12min...

I'm not very familiar with 5D, is the footage already in H.264?? if so do you recommend a different setting?

If it was up to me I would just send them the hour of footage as is, however they want 1 large file instead of multiple clips.. which I personally think is the wrong way to go when editing, but thats what they want...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:24:40 pm

Wait...Just trimming the footage and need to export selects? OH, FCP will do this fine, but you did the wrong thing. Do no use SHARE>H.264. You are recompressing the footage. NO NO NO!

Just FILE>EXPORT>Quicktime Movie. Self contained. I hope that when you made a new sequence that you clicked YES when it asked to set the Timeline settings to match the clip. Then the settings would be H.264 and match the footage exactly. Then export the QT movie, and NO recompression is done. And it should go really quick.

NO, what you are doing is wrong...wrong wrong wrong. Stop it and do it right.

And know that the file you export will not match back to the originals in any way. Timecode won't match, clip names, reel...nothing. So those new exports are the new masters...and should be backed up to like 3 places.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Gilmore
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:31:11 pm

I see Thank you for the help! I was unsure how to export this, being new to FCP7 so I asked a friend of mine and he told me to so it the way I was, since it was taking so long I didn't think this was the correct way.. that's why I came to the experts!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]