FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Multiclip Playback Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Magilnick
FCP7 Multiclip Playback Issue
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:50:30 pm

I have a multiclip sequence. It was set up properly and all the settings (to my knowledge) are correct.

The sequence only displays, in the viewer, the active angle while playing. When I pause, the viewer reveals all the available angles. Every time I play though I am only shown the active camera.
The sync is open, the multi clip playback is enabled. When I have the Viewer as the active window I can playback all the cameras, but when playing back with the sequence or canvas as the active window I am only shown the one active camera.

If I have not explained anything clearly please ask me any questions you need. I could really use a hand here.
Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 Multiclip Playback Issue
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:04:28 pm

OK...in the CANVAS, the middle drop down menu at the top of the Canvas...just to the right of the %...click that and choose OPEN. Then you will see all the angles play in the Viewer and the one you have chosen play in the Canvas.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Magilnick
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:20:23 pm

I opened the sync and it is still acting the same. Anything else...? quite puzzling

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:29:21 pm

In your timeline, is multiclip playback checked?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Mike Magilnick
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:02:42 pm

yes.
I have several multi clip sequences I am working with in this project and some of them have the issue and some do not. The media in the sequences are all the same codecs, the sequences and multi cams were all set up in the same process. All the settings match perfectly.

Would it be almost premature to just say that this is an fcp hickip that would work it's self out?
The sequences worked yesterday, one of them even worked this morning. But now half of them have problems.
I have restarted the application, trashed my preferences, and restarted the computer and no progress.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:05:53 pm

I have seen multi-clips get corrupted. If you haven't gone to far, I would suggest creating a new project and creating new multi-clips. Just deleting the multi-clips and creating new ones in the same project file often isn't enough.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Phillip Van West
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:39:44 pm

Did you render the sequence? if so, that would explain it all. Once a multiclip seq. is rendered, you no longer get all your angles in the viewer while it's playing in the canvas.

pvw

Phil Van West
Terra Nova Productions
Denver, CO
Video Production/Post-Production

Mac Pro 8-core 2.66GHz / 16GB RAM / OS 10.6.7 / FCP 7.0.2 / QT 7.6

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:40:16 pm

I had that issue once. It turned out that my sequence was set to auto render, and the multiclip was rendering before I switched angles.

Return to posts index

Mike Bowen
on Nov 19, 2013 at 6:34:21 pm

it is because your footage rendered. Once a render happens, multi clip doesn't perform properly. Change your sequence settings or add a Color Correction to the multi clip and it will be good to go.

Return to posts index

Steve Grant
on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:58:36 pm

I had a similar problem trying to edit a 4-angle multiclip, and it was driving me nuts. I'd been able to edit a 3-angle just fine in the past, but when I played the 4-angle in the Timeline, the 4 angles in the Viewer reverted to one (the active) and I couldn't see the other 3 to switch angles. Aaaugh!

To resolve it, I went into User Preferences "General tab" and unchecked the following:

• "Limit real-time video to [default is 20MB/s]"

• "Report dropped frames during playback"

• "Abort ETT/PTB on dropped frames"

• "Abort capture on dropped frames"

• I suspect it was one of the first two--or perhaps both in combination--that did it.

One other tip... Even after solving the 4-angle viewing problem, I still hit a wall in that after rolling for a few seconds the playback would bog down--start to hang and then grind to a halt. What solved that was Scratching two of the four cameras to a different physical drive (not just a different partition or volume on the same drive). Even with a RAID populated with four 2-TB, enterprise-class, 7200 rpm drives--connected to my '09 MacBook Pro 15" (8GB RAM, though only Core Two Duo 2-core processor) via Firewire 800--the 4-angle multiclip bogged down like this (though a 3-angle didn't). I deleted the 4-angle multiclip, re-Scratched* two of the four clips to my internal hard drive (only standard 5400 rpm), re-created the multiclip, and now it plays fine indefinitely.

*I actually just copied the two already-imported (via FCP's "Log and Transfer") clips from the project's "Capture Scratch" folder on the RAID to a folder on my internal drive using MacOS Finder windows, then used FCP's "Reconnect Media" to point FCP there for those two clips instead of to their previous locations on the RAID. This saved having to actually re-import them in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]