FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log & Transfer error: "Nothing to process"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Balsley
Log & Transfer error: "Nothing to process"
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:17:53 am

Hi everyone. I need some help. I've been editing a documentary for several months, and now that it's time to go online, I'm having trouble with batch capture. I'd really appreciate any advice.
All the footage was shot on Canon 7D. Initially, I used Disk Utility to create a .dmg of each card for archiving. Then I used Log & Transfer to transcode from the disk images to ProRes 422 proxy. Now I'm picture-locked, and I want to online in ProRes 422 HQ. First I flattened all the video to track V1 (because I'll sending this out to the colorist). Then I used Media Manager to create a new project with offline versions of all clips in the timeline. Then in this new project, I tried to batch capture the sequence, and got the first error. It says all my volumes are missing, even though I've mounted the disk images in Finder. If I say "ignore missing volumes" it gives me a strange error saying "There are no offline clips in the selection. Operation aborted." How do I make it recognize the volumes? They show up fine in the Log & Transfer window. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Log & Transfer error: "Nothing to process"
on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:57:11 am

Are the disk images on the same drive as the original L&T? Have you changed any file names or the name of the dmg?

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:15:11 pm

Michael, I just re-read your post, and you might be onto something. The dmg's are on a backup hard drive, NOT the same one I used for the initial Log & Transfer. I actually don't have that original drive anymore, because it was a rental. But I figured I could copy/paste the dmg's to other drives without changing their contents, right??

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:57:52 am

Hi Elliot,
You can't just have the volumes mounted in the finder, they need to be mounted in the log and transfer window as well. Click on the "add volumes..." button in the same window as your screenshot and select all your cards.

The error message makes sense, because when you click "ignore missing volumes," you are effectively telling FCP to ignore every clip. So it then thinks there is nothing to capture.

If you are having trouble getting the process to work, you can try starting FIRST by opening the L&T window, then mounting all you cards, THEN initiate the batch capture process. Sometimes I've found doing things in this order is more reliable, but YMMV.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:11:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
The disk images are read-only, to prevent this sort of thing from happening :) They are stored on a different external hard drive than my scratch disk.
But they are loaded in the Log & Tranfer window. Each card shows up and I can see all the clips and scrub through them just fine. But the funny thing is — the little grey circle is unfilled on all the clips. I think that means FCP thinks they have not yet been imported, right? That could be the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Like I said, the dmg's are read-only, so they shouldn't have changed.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:34:49 pm

Jeremy Garchow discovered an issue with using L&T to import Canon DSLR footage about 6 months ago. The issue was that if you imported with the originals on one drive, and then try to batch capture them when they are on another drive...FCP cannot find them. Even if you load them in the L&T interface, FCP has issue locating them. Not any other format via L&T...only Canon DSLR. Odd behavior.

You might try to name the drive the same name of the drive they came from, and see if you can get the files into the same directory structure, but I'm not sure even that will help. This was a pretty bad issue.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:48:48 pm

Aaah, sorry Elliot, I didn't understand that you'd mounted everything in the L&T window.

Shane, that's insanely bad news to hear. I just duplicated the problem on my system too. I guess I've just been lucky enough in the past to not move the original clips off the original transfer drive. On my current project, I'm not so lucky.

Sounds like an issue with the EOS plugin, eh? Has anyone talked to Cannon about a fix?

Bum trip, for sure....

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:20:43 pm

Hi there. I just read Jeremy's blog you mentioned. I sort of had an instinctual feeling that might be a problem, which is why I originally archived the cards to read-only disk images, like someone recommended on that thread. Since each card is then mounted as its own volume, the file path should be identical to the original. Surely the location of the dmg itself wouldn't matter, would it? If that's the case, I don't know the name of the drive or the filepath that was originally used. Could I find that information somewhere, hidden in an xml inside my fcp project or something?

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:15:26 am

After hearing about these problems, I tried spitting out an xml of a short, offline 7D timeline to see if there was anything helpful. But there doesn't seem to be anything that is human readable. Each item seems to have a bunch of long UUID strings, but I certainly couldn't wring anything useful out of them. Presumably some of these strings are created based on the original, absolute file path ... but I'm just speculating here. I'm gonna be more careful next batch of footage I ingest.

Please let us know if you have any luck fixing your issue!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Stan Parker
on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:45:24 am

I suppose you probably have your issue resolved by now, but for future people seeking help with this:

I've found the E1 plugin to be extremely finicky. If you L&T'd your footage using one version of the plug-in, FCP won't be able to recognize it if you try to relink it after updating the plugin.

You can download both versions of the plugin directly from Canon:
Version 1.1 : http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0039308.asp
Version 1.2 : http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0200136502.html

In order to remove the plugin from your system to install the other one, you have to quit FCP, then you can find the plugin folder at:

/Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins

Just delete the CanonE1.RADPlug file and empty your trash. Install the version you need, reboot final cut, and you should be good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]