FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6: HVX200 footage with Horizontal striping and motion blur.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher OBrien
FCP 6: HVX200 footage with Horizontal striping and motion blur.
on Nov 27, 2011 at 5:56:53 pm

Hello to Everyone,
I apologize in advance for my decided lack of knowledge and inability to find a forum topic that already covers this issue. If there are in fact threads to this effect, please do feel free to direct me to an appropriate thread.

I have recently shot an event on an HVX200. The HVX footage looks fine when there is not motion in the frame, but as soon as bodies pass through the frame there is very pronounced horizontal striping and blur, and when lights flash on the wall, it was a concert, there is lots of grey and white horizontal stripes.

Any thoughts on how to correct this issue would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 6: HVX200 footage with Horizontal striping and motion blur.
on Nov 27, 2011 at 6:22:42 pm

You have got to tell us how you're monitoring and how you shot the material. If you shot interlaced and are evaluating on a computer monitor that would explain a lot, but if you shot 720p, different issues apply.

In the future, please try to provide enough information so that those of us trying to help you can provide answers rather than having to ask questions.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Christopher OBrien
on Nov 27, 2011 at 7:03:53 pm

Hello David,
Thank you so much for your reply. And yes your comments regarding information thoroughness are most appreciated and duly noted.

In answer to your queries:
I am editing on a MacBook Pro and viewing on a Mac cinema display 23 inch.

The video was shot in DVC Pro HD 1080i 30p.

Thank you again for taking time to respond and I do apologize for not providing ample information. Your consideration and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 27, 2011 at 7:46:49 pm

David is probably right that it's an interlacing issue. But it could also be an issue from acquisition. The horizontal striping that you see during flashing lights is probably due to the light flash not covering an entire interlaced sensor read. I'm not sure if I am describing it well, but a flash of light, if not timed correctly to the sensor reading (each line after line starting at the top) can give you that striped effect. Think of it as the sensor starts off at the top, half way down the flash of light occurs, and possibly ends before the sensor finishes at the bottom. This will create the striped/banding effect. A flash and video generally don't work unless you get them to be synced. In most cases it's not possible to sync them.
The motion blur could also be happening during acquisition. You say you shot at 30p, which in effect is 29.97 fps. According to the 180 degree shutter rule, you shouldn't go under a shutter speed of 1/60th. Going much under this shutter speed will introduce unwanted motion blur. Even tho the 180 degree shutter rule originates from film cameras and rotating shutters, it still applies to video in a digital sense. Since you say it was a concert, you may have been forced to shoot at slower shutter speeds in order to get correct exposure? If you shot at 1/50th, the blur would be less pronounced. 1/40th, more pronounced, and so on and so forth. This would cause that. This rule could also be the cause of the striping on moving bodies through the frame?
Have you been able to check the raw files before transcode? Narrowing down where the problems occurred will tell you what you can do to fix it. Depending on the origination, this may not be fixable in post.
What you can do is deinterlacing problematic clips to see if that helps. Also check your transcode settings. Any more info about your shooting settings and your post processes will help in diagnosing the issues. It's also hard to know exactly what you are talking about without enough info, so maybe post a link to a video clip so we can see it?

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A, Canon 5DMKII, 7D

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:24:05 pm

That's a heck of a thorough answer Joseph, and most likely on the right track of Chris' issue, or at least part of the issue.

And Chris, in addition to the shutter/sensor issues, you might also be seeing the interlace, because computer screens do not handle interlaced material well, as true video monitors and TVs do.

I am a bit confused however because you told us the material was 1080i, but 30p, which are actually conflicting terms. The "I" indicates interlaced, but the "p" indicates progressive frames, hence some confusion there.

In any case, I do hope your material is useable...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:40:42 pm

Thanks David, and I must say, I've learned so much from you and many others here on the Cow in the past 10 years of my career as an independent filmmaker. I'm happy to give back when I can :)
I agree with David that the 1080i 30p is contradictory and will help if that was cleared up.

OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A, Canon 5DMKII, 7D

Return to posts index

Christopher OBrien
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:54:27 pm

Hello Joseph and David,
Wow. Thank you both for your very generous replies. This information is very helpful indeed.

The flashing light striping effect insight is something I was unaware of. Okay, so please excuse further naïveté, but by transcode do you mean taking the hvx p2 footage and transcoding it into a pro res codec or is this act of initial import? Because the source media right after import has all of these artifacts. I am unable to post a video sample at the moment but will put a sample up later. The video was shot in a low light banquet hall.

What is interesting is that footage of the same event was shot on a 7D and a Canon XL H1 and the footage from those cameras shows no such artifacts and striping.

As far as the 1080i 30p informationChristopher O'Brien
This is what the FCP format setting information tells me. Any other thoughts from you gentlemen would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your help.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 27, 2011 at 9:50:32 pm

Initial import and transcoding HVX P2 to ProRes is the same thing. it's the settings you are using to transcode the footage directly from the mounted P2 card to ProRes using Log and Transfer. What FCP format setting is telling you may not be in line with how it was shot. It could be likely that you shot using certain settings on the camera, and then when you L&T your settings aren't right. This could introduce alot of issues. Please provide details about the entire process, from shooting settings to L&T and your sequence settings.

OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Christopher OBrien
on Nov 27, 2011 at 10:56:15 pm

Thanks again. Will check camera and report back camera settings. As always, many thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:11:11 pm

Actually, you CAN shoot 29.97p (aka 30p) on an HVX 200. The thing is, it doesn't STORE it as progressive. It's called Progressive Segmented Frame (psf), and your footage is stored on the P2 card as two fields. This is 1080 footage, and the DVCPro HD codec can't do complete frames; it can, however, do two fields. I bet if you set the field order (incorrectly called field dominance in FCP) for these clips in the FCP brtowser to None, everything will look fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:09:49 pm

Dave is probably right. Would like to hear if this fixes it.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Christopher OBrien
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:19:17 pm

Hello Dave,
Thanks so much for this very helpful bit of information. It is indeed most appreciated. Will give it a go, and report back presently.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]