Frozen playback - external (HDMI) and main monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Shapson
Frozen playback - external (HDMI) and main monitor
on Nov 27, 2011 at 9:34:04 am

Hi guys, here's a stumper

Problem:

When the TV is connected, and only when the TV is connected, playback results in a still frame on both the canvas and the external TV. Audio plays fine, and stopping playback immediately produces the new frame according to the playheads position on both display locations. Scrubbing the video works seemlessly for both displays and the program doesn't lag or feel overworked.

My CPU usage rarely exeeds 15% during playback, and sits at a comfy 3% when the program is idle. RAM is also in good supply.

I recently purchased a Mophie minidisplay to HDMI adapter so that I can use my Samsung TV as a preview monitor while editing. Everything is working great and I've got my TV set up as a second display. Graphics are fine with virtually no lag when using a majority of applications for video based playback. Except for FCP. This is the first time I've used this computer with external monitoring, however my previous MBP was able to handle this just fine using an adapter from AVI to DVI and then to HDMI.

Fixes that didn't work:

- A good number of sequence presets, the goal being to match the output resolution with the sequence
- All combos of settings in Audio/Video Settings->AV Devices
- Various combos of options in System Settings->Playback Controls->Video Quality

Current Settings:

Color LCD Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050
SAMSUNG HD TV: 720p

System:

FCP 7.0.3
MBP w/ Lion 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB
External HD for scratch, project, media

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have at it!

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
Re: Frozen playback - external (HDMI) and main monitor
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:18:14 pm

I've had this problem with external monitoring too. Exactly as you describe. Most of the time, I'll monitor just fine while editing, then suddenly, from what actions I'm not sure, but the issue suddenly happens, out of nowhere. This seems random to me.
I'm on a system that is plenty fast enough to handle all of this, including a high throughput RAID array as my scratch.
When this happens, I'll try refreshing A/V devices, and sometimes this works. If it doesn't, I reboot FCP. This usually fixes the problem.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with my Blackmagic card, or if it's a bug in FCP. I'm connected via HDMI as well to an HDTV (can't afford a proper monitor yet). So it could be HDMI interfaces? But in general a reboot of FCP works. Sometimes a reboot of the system is required, but this is rare. Restarting the monitors don't help so I don't think it's a TV related issue.

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A, Canon 5DMKII, 7D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>