FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freezing clips in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donald Pollock
Freezing clips in FCP7
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:45:42 pm

I am working in FCP 7, shooting avchd on a Panasonic hmc 80.
Some clips hesitate or stutter. I get the spinning wheel of death and the computer quits out of FCP. It only happens with selected clips--shot at the same time as other clips that work fine--and it happens in the same place in these clips in the viewer and in the time line.
Could it be a problem with the card? Can I try different settings?

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Freezing clips in FCP7
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:10:41 pm

You need to transcode that AVCHD to Prores (use MPEGStreamclip...it's free) before you take it into FCP. It'll work perfect once you do. FCP 7 does NOT like AVCHD or any form of h.264 files!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:15:46 pm

[Tony Brittan] "You need to transcode that AVCHD to Prores (use MPEGStreamclip...it's free) before you take it into FCP"

Wrong workflow. Use Log and Transfer in FCP 7.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:22:54 pm

Well, I wouldn't say my suggestion is the wrong workflow at all. It's just one of them. I would say that since the OP already has the clips, and didn't know any better in the first place, they probably don't have the card and or the option of log and transfer. Also, since it's the T3i, the canon plug-in for log & transfer won't work without being hacked to do so with that cam.

In this case, it's totally legit to use streamclip. Just sayin.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:26:01 pm

Oops...wrong cam ;-) Posting from iPhone so I couldn't refer back to post. But it's still a valid point and just me offering some advice from experience on how to correct the problem. And advice that would work. In the future they should log & transfer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]