FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black to white over a very long duration (7-8hours)!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Mulligan
Black to white over a very long duration (7-8hours)!
on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:14:05 pm

Hi, I'm struggling a bit with this.

For a project at college (i'm doing fine art) I want to produce a video that slowly fades from a fully black screen to a fully white screen over a course of 7 or 8 hours.

Im really struggling with this, and also how would i put this length of time onto a dvd or something? Sorry, I sound such a nub!

Very grateful for any help you can offer!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Black to white over a very long duration (7-8hours)!
on Nov 26, 2011 at 6:53:41 pm

I thought this was an interesting question so I just tried to make it and its pretty simple and works.

There may be other ways but here is what I did.

Created a sequence in my desired format, which was Standard def 16x9 prores.

Added a clip of white solid colour a few times until I had a couple of mins.
Then cut and paste that couple of mins again and again in the timeline until I had 9 hours.

Then selected all the clips and nested them to make a single clip.

Added a cross dissolve at the front and dragged it out to the full 9 hours.

Thought there might be a limit to the dissolve length but nope you can make it as long as you like.

Have to say I didnt watch it all in real time but it worked.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 26, 2011 at 7:19:07 pm

Wow, that's one long dissolve!... and probably a long render as well. I imagine if you're working with the ProRes codec (probably your safest bet) your 'self-contained' exported file out of FCP is going to be huge. You'll never get anything but a very pixellated mess for sure if you try to fit this onto a DVD (don't forget, DVD is SD only) - but maybe all the very low bitrate, dancing compression artifacts will look like 'art' too ;-) What do you plan to use to display this piece? LCD screen? Projected?

Take a look at something like this: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
to play your file from a hard drive.

Good luck, hope this helps.

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 27, 2011 at 1:55:35 am

no need to nest.

open Matte > Color, make it white.
type in duration in duration field (top left of viewer or canvas),
edit into timeline
add a transition on the head (Park on head, Apple T)
drag it out.

work in an Apple Prores 422 timeline at least.

i agree w comments about DVD, i think that'll be nigh-on impossible with 8-9 hours.
look into file-based playback.

nick

Return to posts index

Katie Mulligan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00:58 pm

Hey,

Thanks everyone for your help! Really good of you to answer my question :)

However, run into a massive problem today... I won't have access to the computer that has FCP on it for at least a few weeks now :( I can download the trial version though, do you think that has the necessary stuff for me to do this? Or still got iMovie i guess!

Thanks so much again everyone!

Return to posts index

Katie Mulligan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 3:07:10 pm

Hey,

Thanks everyone for your help! Really good of you to answer my question :)

However, run into a massive problem today... I won't have access to the computer that has FCP on it for at least a few weeks now :( I can download the trial version though, do you think that has the necessary stuff for me to do this? Or still got iMovie i guess!

Thanks so much again everyone!

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 6:14:14 pm

[Katie Mulligan] "I can download the trial version though, do you think that has the necessary stuff for me to do this?"

A downloadable trial version of Final Cut Pro??? Where is that? Or are you talking about FCP-X? If it's FCP-X make sure your computer has the correct requirements (processor, RAM, etc.). I'm actually not a user of either FCP versions - I use Media 100 - http://www.media100.com/
which has a fully functional trial that you can download. iMovie might work for what you need - try it and see... after all, art is all about experimenting - isn't it? Regardless of the software you use, also remember to have an external drive for your media files.

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Katie Mulligan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 9:21:35 pm

Sorry, I meant FCP-X, yep, working on a Macbook Pro :) I'll have a go at iMovie but I'm useless with video and have no idea how I'd even go about it with iMovie :(

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]