FORUMS: list search recent posts

Watch folder for Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Von Thomas
Watch folder for Compressor
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:28:49 am

I'm trying to create a watch folder for Compressor. I am exporting ProRes from REDCine-X, then sending those files to Compressor. I found a way to do this in Automator, but the problem is timing. I need for the "watched" files to be complete before Compressor takes them. Is there a way to do this?

Von

Von Thomas
RED DP / Workflow Guru

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Watch folder for Compressor
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:30:37 pm

Not sure how to do it with your existing toolset, but i have made something in the past that ' watched ' folders to see if a render was done. But that was for FTP upload, and it's quite old.

It would be quite easy to re-use that code to write an app that scans if files, and move a file that is done to another folder.
However, that will set you back something like a box of beer.

Contact me direct if you're interested.

(My mail address is on my site)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:34:53 pm

A simple AppleScript based Folder Action should do it ... just create your folder, right-click on it, and choose "Folder Actions Setup..." from the context menu.

When that setup window opens you can choose the "add - new item alert" script, then click the Edit Script button. When the script opens you'll be able to read and edit the script. Now obviously you'll need to change the script extensively to make it do exactly what you want but you can see the basic structure you'll need is already there ...

Or just download it all from someone who's set it up already ... that's what I'd do :-)
http://backtotheedit.com/2011/06/compressor-files-with-a-watch-folder/

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:00:04 pm

I tried this months ago, tweaked...tweaked and could never get it working. Please let me know if this works for any of you.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 27, 2011 at 2:42:20 am

I don't use the script myself Jason, but I can't see anything that would prevent it from working. What was it specifically that didn't work for you?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 27, 2011 at 4:40:49 pm

I followed the instructions... I could just never get it to grab the files that were in the folder. I'm a pretty competent mac OS X user so I was surprised but I just never could get it working.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:06:34 am

Folder Actions, AppleScripts and Automator Workflows etc have always worked very well for me Jason. Did you try testing any of the sample actions from the Folder Actions Setup on the same target folder, such as "add - new item alert.scpt", and did those all work as expected? Stupid question, but did you tick the "Enable Folder Actions" checkbox in the Folder Actions Setup window? I'll try this one out for myself later, if and when I get some free time, and post back.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 28, 2011 at 1:34:29 am

I'll play with it tomorrow and post back my results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]