FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-Interlaced + Best Quality for Web

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio Fuentes
De-Interlaced + Best Quality for Web
on Nov 26, 2011 at 9:15:10 am

Hello,

Excuse any possible mistakes, this is my first post.
I have been working on a dv pal footage captured from sd camera which i now edited and i am on the export process. I am on FCP 6.
The problem is that i see my footage intelaced (the original footage is not) and with bad quality both on my timeline and on the exported result.
I want my final video to be played mostly on the web but i will also give a dvd for the tv.
First i want to know which is the best codec to render the material since dv pal messes with my text and graphics (i have tried: Apple Pro Res 422 HQ, dvcpro50, h.264). Apple Pro Res 422 HQ provides good results but it converts my video to 4:3 instead of the original 16:9.
Second: how can i have a deinterlaced video at 16:9 at the best possible quality?

p.s. when i send export using compressor, fcp always crashes (i have 4 channels of video) so i am looking a way to export through fcp

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: De-Interlaced + Best Quality for Web
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:44:40 pm

You want to export to a stand alone Quicktime movie from Final Cut Pro. I would recommend keeping the footage interlaced and ProRes. De-interlacing video and encoding with H.264 takes a long time. Breaking this process into two steps will shorten the encoding time. Here's what I recommend.

Quit Final Cut Pro, and then submit the footage to compressor. In compressor go to the frame control tab and turn on de-interlacing. De-interlacing in compressor takes a very long time, but it produce really good results. Turn on all the options for de-interlacing in Compressor. Encode your video to another ProRes file which contains the de-interlaced video. Submit the de-interlaced video to compressor again and encode for H.264 multi-pass.

For DVD encoding, submit the interlaced ProRes file into compressor and encode with MPEG2.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Antonio Fuentes
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:37:25 pm

Hi Brad and thanks for the answer. I did several experiments and managed to get the quality i needed for both web and dvd. I am posting the process.

I did render the timeline with dvcpro50. Exported with current settings, quicktime movie. The results were in good quality, not interlaced but with 'broken' texts. I tried with quicktime convenrsion and selected h264 and deinterlaced in the size tab. Good results, with texts also.
For the dvd, i exported the uncompressed movie with 8 bit (is there any difference in quality with 10 bit?) and then imported that file in compressor exported the dvd and also tried the apple tv format (h264 again?) with good results also.

I know that the dv codec can't handle texts good. Can you post the best workaround in your opinion (or anyone in that case) for dealing with dv footage in general?

(capture codec.. > render timeline with codec... export settings etc)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:44:34 pm

Look here for info on interlacing.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1148082

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index