FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nanoflash / Final Cut Clip Management

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Thrupp
Nanoflash / Final Cut Clip Management
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:56:52 am

Hi Guys,

I shoot with a Sony PMW350k and a nanoflash and am about to have some problems with an upcoming project. For those who are not aware the nanoflash allows me to record the uncompressed pictures of the 350k at 100mbps, in a 4.2.2 colour space and in i-frame (which is obviously pretty important for me when it comes to overall picture quality). The nanoflash can record either mxf or mov files and I am using FCP 7.

Now, the problem I am about to have is that my next project is a huge 6 week ob-doc shoot with multiple cameras, so our workflow in post is extremely important. Where the nanoflash will let us down is that it can only record 1 clip for approx 5 minutes before it creates a second clip, even if you haven't buttoned off. For those editors out there I'm sure you can understand how much of a nightmare this would be when trying to review footage / search for a shot and having to constantly scroll through smaller clips rather than scanning one larger clip.

So, my question for you all - is there a way of combining these clips (mov files) into one larger file so that my editors don't have to deal with literally thousands of clips in the browser? One idea I had was to 'capture' the video files off the nanoflash via a Matrox unit, but it almost takes away the advantages of being able to copy digital files across in a short amount of time.

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Col

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Nanoflash / Final Cut Clip Management
on Nov 27, 2011 at 1:03:57 pm

What codec does the nanoflash use? Doesn't FCP's log and transfer tool see these separate clips as spanned clips?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]