FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Hard Drive Recommendation for Firewire 800 port

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Mulvaney
New Hard Drive Recommendation for Firewire 800 port
on Nov 25, 2011 at 5:49:34 am

I've been having some problems with my g-drive, so i'm in the market for a new external hard drive for editing (1TB+). The fastest port my imac has is firewire 800. Any recommendations? Newegg seems pretty thin on options for firewire 800 hard drives, so the help in finding a good option is much appreciated.

Also, I'm just assuming I should go with a firewire 800 hard drive since that's my fastest port -- if anyone disagrees on my amateur thinking here, please do enlighten me.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: New Hard Drive Recommendation for Firewire 800 port
on Nov 25, 2011 at 9:19:50 am

I have a Glyph Portagig62 - which is very good. Its a small portable raid made with 2x 2.5" drives, and it is firewire 800 bus powered.

Its been extremely reliable (i got it to replace a g-raid mini which died after only three power ups!).

I'm very happy with the Glyph.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Nov 25, 2011 at 9:22:51 am

Thanks for the rec. I'm not sure I need raid, and obviously I'd like to avoid the price tag of raid if possible. Any recs on non-raid?

Return to posts index

Brian Vedholm
on Nov 25, 2011 at 9:37:00 am

I use CalDigit VR connected to my IMac with firewire 800. Works for me. Never had any problems.

http://www.stjernholm-media-proshop.dk/product.asp?product=6150

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Nov 25, 2011 at 10:25:50 am

it only costs £180 (not expensive in my book)- and you were asking about firewire800 because its your fastest port - and Raid is typically faster than a single drive.

Raid has two benefits with a drive like this- you can set it one way and get increased speed or set it for security by duplicating the data to both drives.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 25, 2011 at 10:17:18 pm

There is no performance gain with a raid over FW800. A single firewire 800 drive maxes out the data capacity of FW800. These G-Raids and such usually have an esata port, of which you will gain a 30% performance jump just for eSATA, but if you raid it AND use a compatible eSATA card (usually $200+, not the $50 ones) then you can quadruple or more the performance of the drive vs. hooking it up FW800.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]