FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 can't multiclip and RT options are wrong

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Williamson
FCP 6 can't multiclip and RT options are wrong
on Nov 24, 2011 at 5:43:31 am

I've noticed that for some reason sometimes my sequences "just won't act right", usually in some way won't play properly. As if the computer can't render them all in time or something.

Currently with files I transcoded (using mpeg streamclip to h264 640x480 deinterlaced with uncompressed audio) it is doing this problem with the RT options I listed above and although I am able to make a multiclip sequence it is unable to play back, nothing is seen and sometimes no audio is heard but hten when I pause the playback the playhead jumps forward to where it would have been if it had played back smoothly.

I have attached an image of what the rt panel looks like when it doesn't look right.

I have FCP 6.06 on a MacBook Pro 17 running OSX 10.7.2 on a 2.5 GHZ intel Core i7 with 4gb memory

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
Re: FCP 6 can't multiclip and RT options are wrong
on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:19:11 am

I also tried transcoding the source files to proress 422 with all kinds of different audio, same problems.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:57:04 am

Stephen,
H264 is not supported by FC, neither 640x480 (SQ pixels I guess) is a standard video size.
you can't have RT options on that conditions.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
on Nov 24, 2011 at 7:52:24 am

wow, can't believe 60x480 isn't supported, isn't that standard DV NTSC?

Should it be 720x480?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 24, 2011 at 11:07:04 am

[Stephen Williamson] "wow, can't believe 60x480 isn't supported, isn't that standard DV NTSC?"

640x480 is just a frame size.

DV, h.264, ProRes, DVCProHD are codecs.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 24, 2011 at 11:57:03 am

Right. Is about the codec.
rafael

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:52:42 pm

if it's about the codec then why do both h264 and prores 422 not work in this case, despite prores of course being a fcp format?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 24, 2011 at 4:03:24 pm

[Stephen Williamson] "if it's about the codec then why do both h264 and prores 422 not work in this case, despite prores of course being a fcp format?"
You see the codecs and sizes you get in the "Easy setups"?
Those will give you all these options in the RT menu.
RT is an engine in FC that works only with certain codecs but with standard video sizes/pixels/field-order.
DV is supported by FC but you don't get RT with DV at other than PAL or NTSC standards.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:57:20 pm

If you go with DV, it has to be DV at 720x480...it cannot be 640x480. If you do ProRes, it has to be 720x486...not ProRes 640x480. FCP likes standard video sizes. ProRes 640x480 is not.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:48:04 am

"If you go with DV, it has to be DV at 720x480...it cannot be 640x480. If you do ProRes, it has to be 720x486...not ProRes 640x480. FCP likes standard video sizes. ProRes 640x480 is not."

Hm first off thanks so much to everyone for their help.

Hm I never realized DV was a codec I suppose.

So the SD standard can be said to be 720x480 and it's a popular confusion that it's 640x480?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Some how I've been laboring under the 640 delusion for YEARS

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
on Nov 25, 2011 at 1:06:08 am

Hm perhaps I should repharse this question at this point:
I do alot of work with video that requires it to be in the same format (I VJ live at music shows)
When I did my research everyone internationally in the VJ world was doing 640x480 photojpeg codec. Should I switch to 720x480 photojpeg? Will FCP be happy with that?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2011 at 2:50:37 am

[Stephen Williamson] "So the SD standard can be said to be 720x480 and it's a popular confusion that it's 640x480?"
[Stephen Williamson] "When I did my research everyone internationally in the VJ world was doing 640x480 photojpeg codec"

Stephen, you have to understand the different "pixels aspect ratios" in both formats/sizes.
Standard DV NTSC is 720x480 NTSC-DV PIXELS. This is to be displayed in a TV, but if you display that in a computer the image will get distorted because computers have no DV Pixels, but Squared pixels.

If you want that image to be displayed properly in a computer (same size/aspect), you need to convert that to Squared pixels (640x480).
You when you are editing DV stuff to be displayed in a computer, you can edit that as DV (720x480) and resize it later, or you you can edit directly in a 640x480 SQUARED PIXELS sequence.
The people of the VJ world I guess that works often with stuff from internet which is already Squared pixels, so makes sense to edit directly in a 640x480 SQ pixels.
Another thing you have to take in to account is that everything to be displayed in a computer must be Progressive.
rafael

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:24:30 am

Rafael thanks for your response.

That was my line of thought as well, that it made sense to edit in native 640x480. However it seems that FCP will never accept that and allow me to edit it will full rt abilities/fcp's full abilities.

Return to posts index

Stephen Williamson
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:14:51 pm

Is there any codec within FCP that will enable me to edit 640x480 with full RT options? Or am i to understand FCP is designed to work with tvs only and not computer monitors?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:18:57 pm

FCP is a broadcast NLE primarily. Designed to work with and edit footage from tape and tapeless based cameras. It is not designed to edit web video compression or sizes. For that you need to use Adobe Premiere.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]