FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Santiago
Converting Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame in FCP7
on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:44:41 am

This is my first post so please excuse me if I make any mistakes.

I recorded a music video using a Canon 7d DSLR at 24fps 1920x1080p. I then converted the footage in MPEG streamclip to apple pro res 422 lt and ingested it into Final Cut. Then I did all of my edits.

Now my problem is this. I usually export music videos that are going on the internet. For this I use these settings when I export. Compression - H.264, Frame Rate - 24fps, Dimensions - 1920x180 - No frame reordering.

This particular video I shot needed to be exported differently because it's going on broadcast television. So they told me to use these settings.

Instead of H.264 they want XDCAM HD422 1080i60
Instead of 24fps frame rate they want 29.97 frame rate
Instead of Non Drop Frame, they want drop frame

So I figured out how to do everything except to convert the file from Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame. Does anyone know how to do this? Can you explain it to me? I have looked all over the net but I can not find an answer.

Thank you very much

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Converting Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame in FCP7
on Nov 24, 2011 at 9:46:47 am

Drop / non-drop changes nothing to the video.
It's just how the TC is written.
So, depending on how you do your export, change the TC to drop before you do the export.
Now, adding the pulldown is something to worry. You want normal pulldown, not Advanced pulldown! And i'm not sure if FCP can do that.

What other tools do you have at hand?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Jose Santiago
on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:05:44 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "So, depending on how you do your export, change the TC to drop before you do the export."

Do you know how I can do this in Final Cut?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 24, 2011 at 10:13:07 pm

Yes, i do. and you?
Did you look into your (sequence) settings?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:36:58 am

You need to convert to 29.97 first, THEN convert to drop frame. Because 23.98 is a non-drop frame format only. Because you are doing this software only...it complicated things. This is something that Avid MC does easily, just need to take the cut into a project with 29.97 settings.

First, export a self contained QT file. Then, use Compressor to convert that to XDCAM 1080i60 with all the settings you need. You'll need to turn on the FRAME CONTROLS in the Inspector...and for the bottom one, RATE CONVERSION...choose FAST. That is better for going 23.98 to 29.97. But that conversion should make the timecode drop frame automatically. If not, bring it into FCP...change the sequence settings to drop frame, then export a self contained file (no further recompression will happen).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jose Santiago
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:56:29 pm

Thanks a million Shane!! That solved my problem. Great explanation of how to do it as well.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:40:23 pm

Shane, for adding the pulldown using Compressor using Fast, does this add in 3:2 pulldown properly like AE would? I've always had issues with Compressor and frame rate conversions for 23.98 to broadcast spec. May also be because I've used Better and/or Best when doing them.

Also, with this being a tapeless workflow, what about masters to tape. I'm assuming for creating your own master tape, you could rely on your I/O device, like our AJA IoHD to add in the pulldown properly, right.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:07:37 pm

[Matt Campbell] " for adding the pulldown using Compressor using Fast, does this add in 3:2 pulldown properly like AE would? "

Does for me. Looks good too. Not that I have tried AE for this, so I can't compare. If you have AE, you can. Do a quick 5 second test on both.

[Matt Campbell] "I've always had issues with Compressor and frame rate conversions for 23.98 to broadcast spec. May also be because I've used Better and/or Best when doing them.
"

Better and Best do it wrong. FAST does it right. Tested and this is true.

[Matt Campbell] "I'm assuming for creating your own master tape, you could rely on your I/O device, like our AJA IoHD to add in the pulldown properly, right."

Yup. They add the proper pulldown too.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]