FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-line SD to HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Weiner
On-line SD to HD
on Nov 23, 2011 at 8:34:04 pm

Ok, I haven't really ever had to on-line before, so hoping to get some direction.

We have a large multi-camera shoot, about 250 30 min. tapes all together. We shot on the Panasonic HDX. So the entire shoot was shot in HD.

However, the client wanted a the final product to be 4:3 SD. Ok, so we captured the tapes to Apple Pro Res 720 x 480 SD center cut, Multi-clip the entire shoot, and just about have the edit buttoned up, been about a 3-4 month process. The Final cut product works out to about 8 hours of workouts.

Now, the client has changed their mind, maybe they do want HD. So I'm running tests today to see how I might go about on-lining the show, to get a sense how long it will take.

So far my attempt has been to move a final sequence to a new project, taking all footage off line in timeline (I'm using a small one to start, 5 mins), selecting that footage and choosing capture. Then it comes up with a bunch of clips. What I was hoping was that it would re-capture timecode accurate each clip off the tapes needed to keep space down. However, on the first clip it seem to be capturing a 12 min. clip, and I don't think any of the clips are any longer than 12 seconds.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: On-line SD to HD
on Nov 23, 2011 at 9:00:10 pm

Yup...MEDIA MANAGER. Choose your final sequence, then select the MEDIA MANAGER and the CREATE OFFLINE option. Choose the code you want to recapture...handles if you want them. Then you will get a new sequence in a new project that you can recapture at full HD quality.

In the future, if the client wants an SD master, but your footage is HD...just edit HD and DELIVER an SD master. So much easier.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Weiner
on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:27:46 pm

I thought about capturing HD, but the way our system is set up we didn't have the space on our system. (We use a Maxx Digital's Final Share system, we have 80TBs of space, but we also have a lot of different projects going on at the same time, and capturing HD would have eaten up to much of it When they only wanted SD.)

Thanks, that's what I'm trying now. I'm having a few problems though.

1. Again, there are several different sequences, the one I'm doing now is the smallest (5 mins.) but it's still capturing each tape for 10-30 mins of footage.

2. I'm getting errors on each tape, it says things like can't access the timecode on tapes, and other problems, so it doesn't seem to be going smoothy, plus it going to take almost a whole day just to reconnect this one 5 min. sequence. I thought i picked the most restrictive settings I could when made the off-line media manage, but maybe I still have some bad option clicked somewhere?

Thanks for the help by the way, also I really like The Edit Bay.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:17:18 am

When you media manage chose "delete unused media" and then set handles. This splits long clips up into actual used clips plus handles and doesn't actually delete any clips.

A quick read of the manual might help to familiarise yourself with Media Manger

Return to posts index

Eric Weiner
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:00:22 am

Thanks Michael. I did have that setting checked which is why I was thinking that I had the right setting. However, I figured out I need to switch Base Media file name on from existing file names, to existing clip names.

I figure it has something to do with the fact that when it is based on file names, it is re-capturing the whole clip, even if I only use 3 seconds of it, but for what ever reason, switching it to the file name allows it to see each small cut in the timeline as a 3 second clip.

Must be funny for those of you who have been doing this awhile to have a someone asking a simple Online question. I've been working since 2008, and this is honestly my first real experience on-lining anything, and there isn't anyone who works here than has really done it, at least not for several years. If this goes smoothy, we may start cutting in a off line codex, with the idea of on-lining at the end to save on drive space and internal network bandwidth. I thought 80 TB system would be more than enough since we mostly cut and deliver in SD, but our system is filling up quick.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:08:03 am

I always make sure my file name and clip names match. I have had horrors with people sending me projects with lovely file names but the clips are all 'untitled'. Much fun when reconnecting.

Offline/ online workflows demand good management of clip/file naming, reel numbering and sensible folder management. Shane Ross has done many excellent tutorials covering project management and offline/online workflows, particularly with file based cameras.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]