FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shocking Audio mix/avchd artifacting problem pro Res LT to SD DVDSP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Simpson
Shocking Audio mix/avchd artifacting problem pro Res LT to SD DVDSP
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:22:45 pm

(Repost from DVD authoring forum, this is perhaps better placed here)

I know, I know, read the boards and I have, and tried the solutions suggested but they don't seem to have improved the situation.

Just finished a client project. Shot and edited in Pro Res LT, in FCP7, have Compressed it in Compressor for YouTube for approval loves my promo, and the audio mix and clarity sound fine, like my timeline in fcp. Compressed it again for DVD and the finished audio sounds awful. Now fcp7 compressor 3.5. I've changed it to -31 instead of -27, taken off the film standard compression removed all the compressor filters for best quality DVD and it still sounds awful on my DVD & Blu ray players, even back in the mac pro back through the monitoring speakers.

It's muffled, it sounds like it's stripped out bands of frequencies, the clarity and the separation of music, effects and vo has disappeared. I'm puzzled as compressor did a perfectly good job crushing it on the YouTube settings, but maintaining fidelity and mix, and the audio bit rate on the DVD audio is high.

Now I regularly do DVDs (not normally with music on) and the audio quality is okay, but this sounds worse than ever before.

Can anyone point me to a solution?

I've also got Toast 10, I'm so disappointed I'm going to try to do a Blu ray for his showstand loop, it'll better in HD and hopefully the encoding will be kinder on the audio.

Another thought was whether an audio only QuickTime file or another audio file would sit in the DVD in place of the Dolby track?

I shot everything on Atomos ninja save for 2 avchd handicams which were transcoded to pro Res on log and transfer there is some awful blockiness and artifacting now in standard def, on high movement, that's not there in the timeline or on the YouTube compression, any suggestions? Is it me or has Apple deliberately (how I'm feeling) crippled Compressor for DVD as it didn't believe in that medium/paradigm!?

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Shocking Audio mix/avchd artifacting problem pro Res LT to SD DVDSP
on Nov 22, 2011 at 6:22:23 pm

You could try encoding in Compressor with PCM instead of AC3. Just change the audio settings. Also, I would recommend reading this article I wrote about transferring HD footage to DVD. This may help.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
Re: Shocking Audio mix/avchd artifacting problem pro Res LT to SD DVDSP
on Nov 23, 2011 at 4:56:44 pm

Thanks for that Brad, I think I'd seen it in posts maybe by in other places.

I've tried as much as i can I don't have a reference monitor, but compression markers have not fixed the transcoded avchd to pro Res clips. Fortunately they are very short clips and the DVDs are secondary to onlineand show stand content, so it's a lesson relearned avchd is HD only.

Audio is no better, I tried everything, every bit rate, filter on or off in compressor, in the end I turned on the 31band equaliser, and then realised, I'd just have to do a DVD mix, with music and effects lowered, so the vo and interviews can be heard for the show stand. And tonight I'll see if the avchd has played nice on the blu Ray left encoding while ive been at work.

Normally the avchd cameras are hdmi to Atomos ninjas but I needed all 6 for the 6 crew I was using on the shoot.
Thought (or rather forgotten) avchd to card would not be problematic. Never again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]