FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop graphic not importing correctly. They are slightly cropped and squeezed left to right. Any solutions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Haight
Photoshop graphic not importing correctly. They are slightly cropped and squeezed left to right. Any solutions?
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:17:31 pm

Project requires compositing graphics with alpha with greenscreen 1920x1080 video in FCP 7. Originally video key pulled well and background graphic dropped in fine. Additional graphics are not all importing correctly and I do not know why.

Graphics originated as IllustratorCS5 eps. I opened in PhotoshopCS5, saved in RGB as .psd files and imported into FCP. A few of the total 11 graphics openin FCP fine (no edge cropping & correct aspect ratio) and I can resize them and place them. The other graphics suffer from edges cropped and are squeezed left to right.

In Photoshop I also tried to export>Render to Video and this worked onthe first file perfectly but the other graphics are right aspect but are lacking an alpha channel so I get a black or white background.

My deadline approaches. Any ideas?

Doug H

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Photoshop graphic not importing correctly. They are slightly cropped and squeezed left to right. Any solutions?
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:23:24 pm

Two things. Select the problem graphics file and then select "Modify->Conform to Sequence". If that doesn't do it, double click on the file. This will bring it up in the preview monitor. Select the Motion Tab, and then look at the distort settings and the x and y position. You may have to fix it manually.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: Photoshop graphic not importing correctly. They are slightly cropped and squeezed left to right. Any solutions?
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:28:27 pm

Doug, I import psd files quite frequently. I only ever import photoshop files that are sized according to my fcp timeline. For example, when working with HDV, I use the photoshop HDV 1440x1080 setting. I control the image there, then import and everything is fine - exactly as it was in photoshop. Sometimes you need to reset the x and y position and make sure scale is 100 as fcp tends to alter on occasion. But I've never had problems with aspect ratio or cropping following this method.

One more thing...

If you need to zoom or pan an image, I highly recommend finishing your photoshop work in its original, large scale file, then copying the layers over to a new file that matches the fcp timeline (i.e. 1440 x 1080) and scaling there, in photoshop, leaving the visible image in its final desired state or size. That way, when you import this file and then drag out the layers (if you need an explanation of this, let me know), you'll know that in fcp your end result will always be 100% scale, 0 X 0 Y. You can then start with whatever scale and position you want, knowing how to get to this.

Chris

Return to posts index

Karen Cerino
on Nov 22, 2011 at 8:45:22 pm

I've encountered this problem, when the pixel aspect doesn't match the timeline. Switch your project view to view as list and scroll sideways until you reach pixel aspect. Here you can select all you graphics that are wrong, and you can change them to whatever size works, typically setting them to square works for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]