FORUMS: list search recent posts

Song distortion in exported video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Nagle
Song distortion in exported video
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:16:35 pm

Hi, I am exporting a video and all the audio is fine with the exception of one song which has a gurgling, hollow sound. The song was originally an MP3 that I converted to AIFF, then imported into FCP 7. It doesn't matter what format I export to, the song sounds equally distorted. The song sounds fine when I play it in the timeline. I got different file of the song in case mine was flawed yet the export sounds the same.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Song distortion in exported video
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:25:17 pm

What audio codec are you using for Export? If you are using MP4 this could be the result of badly compressed AAC audio. Try exporting to ProRes and see if the problem goes away.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Bryan Nagle
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:59:57 pm

I was exporting as an MP4. As you said, the problem went away when I exported as a Prores! Should I export the video as a Prores then and then convert it to a more accessible codec using MPEG StreamClip or something?

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:05:09 pm

Most likely it's your audio settings. I would import the ProRes video into Compressor and modify the AAC audio encoding for the H.264. This is likely where the problem is.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Bryan Nagle
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:17:41 pm

How exactly do I modify the coding? Also, the problem file is an aiff.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:31:35 pm

So if the problem isn't in the ProRes file, you need to modify your Compressor settings. After you create the ProRes file import that file into Compressor. Drag your H.264 export setting you want to use on top of the file. Click on the inspector. Click on the encoder tab in the inspector. Click on the audio settings button. Change the Target Bit Rate to 320. Submit and see if the problem goes away.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:43:57 pm

In FCP reduce the level of the aif before export. High levels that go right up to zero can cause distortion when re compressing to AAC or mp3, so pull about 4-6 db off the music level and then make the H264.

When you exported as ProRess, the audio remained uncompressed but as long as the levels remain too high, they will subsequently distort when compressing to another codec.

Return to posts index

Bryan Nagle
on Nov 23, 2011 at 12:02:52 am

Thanks so much! I have one additional unrelated question that's been driving me crazy over the past few days and perhaps you can offer some insight.

I need a small Apple DV PAL file for Pro Tools. I currently have the file saved as an MP4 and have compressed that file with Handbrake so that it's only 200mb; however, when I use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to DV Pal, the file increases in size drastically. I need a file compatible with Pro Tools and H.264 compression is not adequate. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:35:17 pm

DV video is 14 gigabytes per hour. H.264 compression can be any size. You never want to use H.264 as an intermediate codec that is something that you want to edit. Only encode with H.264 for web viewing. For editing, use ProRes or the Apple Intermediate Codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]