FORUMS: list search recent posts

10 extra seconds on export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Lancaster
10 extra seconds on export
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:03:31 pm

I'm in the final stages of post production on a feature film, and trying to do a time locked export.

Unfortunately, whenever I export the timeline, the export is about 10 seconds longer than the original timeline. (I know this by dragging the newly made file on top of the original timeline, and seeing that they don't sync.) The timeline and export start in sync, but then gradually drift apart.

This happens no matter what format I export in. The bulk of the footage is in XDCAM codec, converted with Log and Transfer, but there are clips that were processed in After Effects, and they were exported in different formats (some PC people were working on the project). The main time line consists of a series of nested sequences with a few establishing shots and slugs between them.

Any insights into this dilemma would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 10 extra seconds on export
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:58:55 pm

There are many ways to export video from FCP, and we have no idea how you're doing yours. Unless you're hoping for a lucky guess, be precise, and tell us exactly what you're doing.

Oh, and for the record, nesting in FCP is imperfect at best, and nesting a long-GOP format like XDCam is even worse. You might consider baking-in the nested sections by exporting them and editing the exported sections into a sequence without any nests.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]