FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi-8 transfer issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy smith
Hi-8 transfer issues
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:38:54 pm

Hi.

I have some great footage on a Hi-8 tape. I operate FCP 7 on a mac book pro.

I dont have a Hi-8 camera and I would like to import footage. I got a quote from a shop to burn it to a DVD for 150 $, which is not an option.

any advice??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Hi-8 transfer issues
on Nov 21, 2011 at 5:24:41 pm

A) Find a place that will capture the tape for you as a digital file (DV/NTSC, DV50 or ProRes would be preferred). Surely this place that can make it as a DVD has editing software? No? or, perhaps it is non-compatible software, like Vegas or Movie Maker.

B) Find a camera and do it yourself. Get a Digital 8 camera so you can connect it via firewire.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 21, 2011 at 5:33:52 pm

The DVD can be ripped using MPEG Streamclip to generate mov files you can work with. If the price for the DVD was too much, your next step is to find a used hi-8 camera and an ADVC firewire media converter on ebay or someplace, used. Back-of-the-bar-napkin math says that's going to cost the same as the DVD option did.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 21, 2011 at 5:40:11 pm

I would add a Timebase Corrector into your signal path from the 8mm tapes. I did by using my Sony VX2000 camcorder which has a built in TBC. There is all kinds of frame sync and drop out issues with these old tapes. You want to make your capture as clean as possible. I wouldn't recommend using MPEGStreamclip for ripping DVDs from old 8mm tapes with frame drop outs. MPEGStreamclip can cause way too many sound sync issues. Free software isn't free of problems.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:03:12 pm

[Brad Wright] "MPEGStreamclip can cause way too many sound sync issues. Free software isn't free of problems."

I would argue this is one piece of free software free of problems as I've used
it almost daily for the last 4 years.

If you use the "fix timecode breaks" option first, there will seldom if ever, be a sync issue with mpeg streamclip.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:30:15 pm

[Chris Borjis] "I would argue this is one piece of free software free of problems as I've used
it almost daily for the last 4 years."

Not if you develop your own software. An example would be....Cough, Cough, DVDxDV!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:36:37 pm

MPEGStreamclip can't maintain from DVD that contain significant frame drops on DVD. I've tested it against this and it doesn't hold syn. 8 mm tape usually contains places where there is no valid video signal. Most DVD recorder drop frames on this situation, so what they do is they close out the GOP and wait until there is a valid video signal again. When a valid signal comes again, the DVD recorder puts out a new GOP picture with a significant time gap between them. The audio continues gong and that's where MPEGStreamclip fails.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:36:18 pm

I agree with Chris. It has never disappointed me yet. But the poitn about a TBC is well-taken.

Along these lines, when people ask you about a hi-8 tape, you have to be careful to check they don't mean digital-8, or one of 2 flavors of Hi-8, the compatibility between the tapes and cameras or decks is not 1:1 in every case.

Still, my argument was that if the cost of the DVD dub was a problem, the guy will not be able to afford a deck or camera PLUS a TBC AND a converter, unless the TBC and conversion to DV firewire happen inside the camcorder he finds on ebay. I'm saying that price-wise, he's going to pay more for a working camcorder with the TBC and firewire out, if such even exists for hi-8, and if it doesn't, he's shelling out more for stand-alone TBC's and DV converter boxes than the DVD option costs. If money was no option, he could send the tape to one of the specialty houses for that job, but we were trying to find an answer within his budget. There are always trade-offs.

Return to posts index

andy smith
on Nov 21, 2011 at 8:57:09 pm

thanks for all the input. I was able to find a place that charges .29 cents per minute of tape to transfer. So that should be more feasible. THanks for all the insight, this is an EXCELLENT resource!

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:20:45 pm

Brad, I haven't had those problems with any discs from my recorder because it does have a TBC in it....probably explains my luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]