FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dr. Dre "Kush" Video - Visual Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Gharai
Dr. Dre "Kush" Video - Visual Effects
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:18:34 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to start learning the different steps towards producting effects like the one in Dr. Dre's video "Kush".

I have access to Adobe Creative Suite CS5, Final Cut Studio and Blender along with green screen and a dolly.

Is there anyone that could give me direction on what I should start to learn in order to produce material like the ones in the video. I know it's a huge learning curve (an understatement I'm sure) but would greatly appreciate any direction.

Best,
Sam

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Dr. Dre "Kush" Video - Visual Effects
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:44:09 pm

I think that's stuff has been shot twice, once with a film/video camera for the guy that moves and another one with an array of still cameras for the people that looks frozen (frozen movement or slice time).
Have a look to this: http://www.digitalair.com/techniques/

May be with an array of DSLRs cameras shooting video and masking/rotoscoping.
BTW, great video.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:44:20 pm

Ralph, while what you describe is certainly possible, FWIW I think they took a lot of shortcuts on this one, most of the "frozen" shots to me look more like actors just standing really still, with a few strategically placed RealDolls (tm) here and there. The plane interior probably had the floating cash debris done in CGI and composited in, while the girls were just models, holding a pose. The car in motion is just greenscreened, likely with some Trapcode plug-ins for the light streaks.

Damn, I forgot about Dre!:-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:46:04 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Damn, I forgot about Dre!:-)"

teh ahahahahaha! nice one

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:55:37 pm

By the way, I think Mark nailed the technique. This looks a huge game of "Red Light....Green Light!" to me with some CGI dollar (dollar) bills ya'll, and some VFX. Some of those "freeze" frames are set pieces, too.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:13:12 am

Yes, watching it few times (great video!!) seem that Mark is is right.

That would simplify the job (one shoot, no masking/rotoscoping).
Talent and the magic of this job where you can get the same thing with different techniques.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Papa Rotsi
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:36:24 am

I havent read all the responses. I too was amazed by this video and sought out the best way to emulate it. This is the results of my findings: I use AE - Boujou - Cinema 4d in that order. AE to create a jpeg sequence, Boujou for the motion tracking, and Cinema 4d for the objects in the air. I have not created anything as complex as the Kush video yet and I am sure that there are more elements to that particular video. My daughter is in a commercial for Ludacris' SOUL headphones and they used this technique. In production they just have everyone be very still while they made the camera moves. I hope that maybe by now you have figured it out but if not here you go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]