FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I give 60fps 7D footage a 24p look?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Pengelly
How do I give 60fps 7D footage a 24p look?
on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:30:17 pm

I have been trying to figure this out and can't seem to find the correct workflow.

The footage was shot at 60fps progressive. We shot some slow motion clips and one of the cameras did not get switched back to 24fps.

I cut the Video in a 60p timeline matched to the clips.

OK so the issue is when 60fps goes to 24 fps it is of course in slow motion. I need it to have a 24fps look.

Of course Phillip Blooms workflow did not work because I am using 60p not 30p.

To be honest I have been trying to solve this for so long that I am lost in all of the different opinions and my deadline is approaching.

Is their any way anyone can give me a step by step detailed work-flow? I have done test after test with out success. I need a guaranteed fix so I don't wast more time researching a work-flow.

Do I have to Change my original source clips or can I export the final and convert that to slow mo? Also within the body of the edit I have some slow motion and some realtime clips. Will filmlooking the entire edit cause the slow motion to stutter. Maybe I need to convert the realtime shots to 24 and just leave the slow motion the way it is.

Monday Deadline approaches....

Help me creative cow.... your my only hope!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: How do I give 60fps 7D footage a 24p look?
on Nov 20, 2011 at 11:05:40 pm

With a deadline and lacking time to convert it proper simply drop it on the timeline. Since it wasn't shot at 24 it isn't going to look like 24. Capturing motion picture quantizes time. The frame rate and shutter speed determine how this quantization takes place. Having quantized at 60fps a conversion to 24fps won't have the proper cadence to the motion or the blur.

If you conformed the footage in Cinema Tools down to 23.98 and want it to be real time on the timeline just put your clip at the end of the timeline, hit butterfly-J, change the rate to 250% (60/24=2.5, if you want it exact divide 60 by 23.98 instead of 24, but the decimal portion is likely to be negligible), and put the clip where it belongs. I tend to use make speed transformations at the end of the timeline when possible - things tend to shift on me when I don't.

Is this proper workflow? No. Will it look perfect? No. Will it look acceptable? I'm guessing yes, but that decision belongs to you or someone on your creative crew. Sometimes your back is against the wall and you just have to get it done. With a deadline of tomorrow and the tone of your post it sounds like it's time for get it done mode.

When you're using a different workflow tests at the front end are essential.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 21, 2011 at 1:26:08 am

Perhaps just adding the Video-Strobe filter to 1 frame will give you a look that is close as well. Basically turns the 60p into 30p, which looks closer to 24p than 60p.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Pengelly
on Nov 21, 2011 at 2:50:03 am

Hey thanks changing to 24 then speeding it up 250% seems to have worked.I tried a portion of the edit using this technique and it looks better than 60fps video. I am just finishing up my final CC pass and I will try the whole video.

Thanks for the help

Funkin it up Old School

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]