FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anybody using USB 3.0 drives with Final Cut Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthy
Anybody using USB 3.0 drives with Final Cut Pro?
on Nov 19, 2011 at 8:29:49 pm

Hi,
I am interested in know ing if there is anyone out there who is using USB 3.0 with a FCP editing system. I am currently using the USB 3 External drives for back-up storage, but I am wondering if I can use them to directly house media I am currently working on in the timeline. This would be with the LaCie Is there anyone out there that is currently working this way and if so, how is it working out?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

By the way, I am working on a G5 2.5 DP which does have three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133 MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100 MHz, 64-bit slots. I am running FCP 5

-Eric

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Anybody using USB 3.0 drives with Final Cut Pro?
on Nov 19, 2011 at 9:36:58 pm

Macs don't have USB 3.0 connections. Especially one that old. But none of the newer models either. There is a third party drive maker that makes a PCIe card for this (Caldigit), but that won't work in your old machine. And I hear that getting it to work in newer machines is spotty at best.

Nope...USB 3 is not really an option on macs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Nov 19, 2011 at 10:07:36 pm

Hi Shane,
Thanks for the answer, but LaCie is making both cards, and a driver that work on Macs using OS 10.5 or better, and that have a PCI-Express card slot.

Research online shows that some users of G5s with a PCI-X card slots are looking for similar solutions. I was just wondering if anyone had found one...

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:13:04 pm

...and of course the new MBP's have USB3 connections and I expect these will be rolled out on other models soon, but as you say if you are running an older machine, then Lacie have USB3 cards/drivers.

Given that USB3 is over 6 times faster that FW800, I would imagine that it is a pretty good option for an FCP system drive - in fact I am looking ant one my self. Lacie do a 6TB USB3 Raid drive - very tempting, but it is pricey.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
USB 3.0 drives with Final Cut Pro CRASH LOG!
on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:30:32 am

OK, so I can answer my own Question here..."yes I am".

We have recently installed a 6TB USB 3.0 drive in the Wild Dog edit studio as our Raid rushes archive and I am slowly stuffing it full of content. HOWEVER, the drive seems to make the Mac crash when it goes to sleep, something that does not happen with any other USB 3.0 or FW 800/thunderbolt device that I have connected.

Anyone know what the issue might be here?

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]