FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I make 60fps 7D footage look like 24 Fps using FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Pengelly
Can I make 60fps 7D footage look like 24 Fps using FCP?
on Nov 19, 2011 at 5:13:52 pm

Can I make 60fps 7D footage look like 24 Fps?

I shot my first music video on the 7D and we were doing 60Fps shots for slow motion. One of the cameras did not get Switched back to 24FPS when we went on to our lip sync shots. The realtime 60fps video obviously looks far to much like video. Can I some how give the footage a 24 fps look?

I am using FCP 7.0.3 to edit.

Thanks

Richard Pengelly

Funkin it up Old School

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
Re: Can I make 60fps 7D footage look like 24 Fps using FCP?
on Nov 19, 2011 at 5:24:37 pm

You can do it by opening your raw clip in Compressor and converting it to 24p. Use Best settings and match clip length at 100%. At 3:22 on this video you'll be able to find what you need as far as compressor settings go http://philipbloom.net/2009/05/30/how-to-convert-canon-5dmk2-footage-from-3... As far as the rest of the video goes, I've not worked with a sequence. One thing to note; it takes hours to convert some clips.

Best Regards :)

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 20, 2011 at 4:23:50 pm

[Frank Giardina] "You can do it by opening your raw clip in Compressor and converting it to 24p. Use Best settings and match clip length at 100%. At 3:22 on this video you'll be able to find what you need as far as compressor settings go http://philipbloom.net/2009/05/30/how-to-convert-canon-5dmk2-footage-from-3..... As far as the rest of the video goes, I've not worked with a sequence. One thing to note; it takes hours to convert some clips."
there is something wrong in Philip Bloom's process.
He wrote:
"under “Rate Conversion:”. I choose, “Best (High quality motion compesnation)” to get superb results, however this increases the compression time".
That is wrong and is what makes the process that long.
in this process Compressor only needs to drop frames so no need for "Motion Compensation" or Frame-blending. This would make reprocess every single frame degrading the picture and taking ages. That makes sense when slowing down picture that is necessary to create in-between frames.
FAST (nearest frame) is the best option in this case.

Anyway try first just dropping the p60 stuff in a p23,98 sequence in FC.
Set "Render Motion Effects: Linear".
If you are happy with the results you don't need to go to Compressor.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Nov 20, 2011 at 4:31:34 pm

Those are great points!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Richard Pengelly
on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:15:55 pm

I cannot find the "Render Motion Effects: Linear" tab I have searched FCP Help Googled it can you point it out to me.

OK so the issue is when 60fps goes to 24 fps it is of course in slow motion. I need it to have a 24fps look. In Philip Blooms fix he says to open it in Cinema tools change it to 23.98 then open the inspector. Did he mean after converting to 23.98 then open in Compressor and make changes there.

Of course Phil's workflow did not work because I am using 60p not 30p.

To be honest I have been trying to solve this for so long that I am lost in all of the different opinions and my deadline is approaching.

Is their any way you can give me a step by step detailed workflow?

Funkin it up Old School

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 21, 2011 at 2:48:56 am

[Richard Pengelly] " I am lost in all of the different opinions and my deadline is approaching."

Save yourself time and headache... just convert it to 30p. 80% the 24p look and no headaches or long renders.

Why 24p... is it a requirement or choice?

John

Return to posts index

Richard Pengelly
on Nov 21, 2011 at 3:04:48 am

We had the cameras set to 60fps for some slomo shots and they did not get switched back to 30 or 24. This has given most of the video a news video quality to it. That is the reason I am try to change the look to a more 24fps style.

Clearly next shoot I have to plan my frame rates a bit better. I suppose if I did want to the 24fps look I should have shot my slow mo at 50 fps.

How would you go about converting it to 30fps?

Funkin it up Old School

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:11:34 am

If you drop your 60p into a 30p FCP timeline it will play as 30p. It should be a green timeline so you will need to render when finished. You could also use Compressor before editing. For your 60 slo mo you will need to conform the 60 to 30 using Cinema Tools. in this message 60 = 59.94 and 30 = 29.97.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 21, 2011 at 5:09:24 pm

[Richard Pengelly] "I cannot find the "Render Motion Effects: Linear" tab I have searched FCP Help Googled it can you point it out to me."
Open the sequence settings > Video processing > Motion render quality > Linear.
You can set speed 100% and uncheck "Frame blending", that will make that FC drop frames without further picture processing. But this must be done clip by clip (no way to copy& paste attributes > speed) and can be a pain.
You can also:
- select the stuff you want in a p60 sequence and export as it is.
- reimport the p60 clip and drop it on a p23.98 sequence
- Set speed 100% and uncheck "Frame Blending".

[John Heagy] "If you drop your 60p into a 30p FCP timeline it will play as 30p."
So why not directly in a 23,98 fps sequence?

[John Heagy] "For your 60 slo mo you will need to conform the 60 to 30 using Cinema Tools." or conformed to 23,98 if will be edited on a 23.98 sequence.
If that's too slow can be speeded up in FC.
if needs to be speeded up, set the speed and uncheck "Frame Blending". Nothing to blend when speeding up. Just frames to be dropped.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:34:35 pm

[Rafael Amador] "[John Heagy] "If you drop your 60p into a 30p FCP timeline it will play as 30p."
So why not directly in a 23,98 fps sequence?
"

One could but then FCP will drop frames unevenly and you'll get lousy looking motion. 60 into 30 will drop every other frame and look "correct" with the exception of lack of motion blur.

John

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:00:07 pm

Rafael, I've just posted a similar question. So normally you would shoot at 23.98 and edit 23.98 for that so called film look. Any any material, if planned out properly, you wanted for slo-mo, you would shoot 59.94 and conform with Cinema Tools to get silky smooth slo-mo.

What if all you have is Canon 7D footage at 59.94, and they still want that film look. Are you saying to still edit in 23.98 and either take the transcoded material in FCP and either use Compressor to change the frame rate to 23.98 using Fast under Rate Conversions Frame Controls or just drop your 59.94 footage in a 23.98 timeline and under Sequence Setting, Video Processing select Fast (Linear). Will both these methods remove the proper frames from 59.94 to 23.98?

Then whatever scenes we want slo-mo we can simply make a copy of the clip and use CT to conform them, and re-import.

Does this sound right? Or would you edit 29.97 with 59.94 material because its a cleaner conversion and FCP will then drop those frame properly. Then maybe when finished use Phillips Blooms methods to conform your 29.97 sequence to 24 once the edit is complete?

There seems to be many ways to do this, I just want the best workflow that will yield the cleanest looking footage all the way through to output.

Any thoughts?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]