FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode problem when moving from prores proxy to prores HQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amberlie Bankoff
Timecode problem when moving from prores proxy to prores HQ
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:59:42 pm

We just finished editing a feature that was shot with the Canon 60D. Everything was logged into FCP using log & transfer. Editing was smooth, but now that is has come time to reconnect, we can't seem to get the timecode from the proxy files to match the timecode of the original h.264 files. Thus, creating a major headache. It seems as though the proxy files have the incorrect time code, because everywhere else it is the same time code... I've looked at the files in the media managed export, I've looked at individual files through cinema tools, I've looked at the exported h.264 files. All of them have the same time code. The time code that seems to be wrong is with the proxy file, which means BIG disaster. Am I missing something here? Maybe the proxy files are correct and it's the other way around?

So if anyone can help me that would be great because I have been sitting here for 4 days trying to figure this out. I am fairly new to all of this so please go easy on me with the terminology. Thanks!

Gear:
FCP7
Canon 60D
24p
1080i

-------
My Life
Meet Jerry

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Timecode problem when moving from prores proxy to prores HQ
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:29:21 pm

#1...you don't want to reconnect to the H.264 files. Ever. They are NOT master files. They are in an acquisition format that is not meant to be edited with at all. What you need to do is media manage the sequence to CREATE OFFLINE...and choose the option ProRes 422 (or HQ if you really want, even though you get zero benefit from that over 422...because your source files are 8-bit).

This is the workflow to use:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

H.264 files themselves lack timecode...at least the timecode you are referencing. That information...the TIME OF DAY code...is located in the THM files that occupy the same folder. This is where FCP ties the timecode to the clips. So if you try to match back to the H.264 files...the originals..you can't. The timecode doesn't match.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Amberlie Bankoff
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:36:04 pm

Yes, I am aware of not reconnecting the H.264 files. I think I just worded that wrong....

Anyways, I did follow a workflow, but I screwed up on naming the reels, so the batch capture wouldn't work. So here I am transcoding files individually.... Then I ran into the problem of the timecodes being different from the proxy to the HQ files, like I stated before.

Either way, I just plugged into my other computer (the one the film was edited on, we'll call this computer 2) and started transcoding the HQ files and they match! I have no idea why b/c both FCP system settings and audio/video setting, sequence settings are the same from what I can tell. But it is getting the right time codes now, I still would like to know why though it all settings are the exact same that the timecodes would be different?!

FYI I logged and capture on computer 1 and edited on computer 2 so I could utilize FCP at the same time.

-------
My Life
Meet Jerry

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 19, 2011 at 5:08:05 pm

The timecode within FCP (assuming you used Log and Transfer) is based on the THM files, which derives the TC from the file creation date/time.

That TC won't necessarily be visible in the H264 original, as QT doesn't read the THM file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]