FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic GH2 & HDMI

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike albertini
Panasonic GH2 & HDMI
on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:20:07 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a GH2...I've been reading about them but have a question concerning HDMI import...

I have a Mac Pro (4-core) 1st Gen 2006-2007 - 11GB ram/Radeon 3870)...and have read that you can import footage from the GH2 using USB or HDMI...

I've seen examples of people importing using the Matrox MX02 and the footage looks good...I've also seen a video on creative cow of footage which was imported using the Blackmagic Intensity Pro...

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/280/3984

If I just import using USB will I lose some quality in the image?...If so, is it worth getting a Matrox MX02 to import via HDMI or will the cheaper Blackmagic Intensity Pro do the job ok?

And also, from what I've read, as long as you use log and transfer and convert to prores before editing everything goes smoothly...is that true?...anyone had any problems/issues with this camera and fcp...or the camera in general?

One last thing, I'm considering only getting it with the 14-42 mm lens...I plan on using this for mini-docs/short films etc...does anyone with experience of using this camera think this will be sufficient?...I can of course buy more lenses if needed but just wanted to get opinions first...

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Panasonic GH2 & HDMI
on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:26:54 pm

That people haven't been importing, but capturing from the HDMI.
Supposing that the GH2 puts out 8b Uncompressed,you need a fast connexion like HDMI or SDI for capturing.
You can't do that with USB, foirst because the picture is not present in the USB connexion while you are shooting, then because the USB connexion is not enough to cope with the data-rate of the signal.
You need an external IO card to get that done.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:02:34 pm

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the reply...so would you recommend either the blackmagic intensity pro or the matrox MXO2 for the job?...

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:22:58 pm

Hi Raphael,

I've just noticed the Blackmagic intensity Pro isnt compatible with my 2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1)...

Mike

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:06:56 pm

Use Log and Transfer to get your footage into FCP. You can use both the BM or Matrox MXO 2 for viewing.

Here is a workflow:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:31:15 pm

Why are you trying to capture direct from the camera into FCP. Why don't you just record to digital media in the camera and then import using log and transfer?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:12:04 pm

Hi Herb,

I must have things confused...I'm not trying to capture direct from the camera into fcp...I just want to capture the footage into my computer while keeping all the quality in the image...then using log and transfer to convert to pro res and into fcp...

I read, perhaps mistakenly, that as the gh2 records 4:2:2, that the usb connection of the gh2 cant handle all that info so will compress it on its way into my mac and reduce the quality of the image...and that what i should do is capture over hdmi and for this i would need a capture card which was capable of capturing hdmi...

I've since read that all i might need is an SD card reader if i want to get the footage from the gh2 to my desktop at the highest possible quality and then use log and transfer...is this correct?...

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:18:44 pm

"I've since read that all i might need is an SD card reader if i want to get the footage from the gh2 to my desktop at the highest possible quality and then use log and transfer...is this correct?..."

Yes, that's correct. Your camera records onto the SD cards and then you transfer those cards to your computer using log and transfer in FCP. In the L&T window make sure you capture the images as ProRes, then you're set.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 19, 2011 at 4:34:03 pm

[mike albertini] "I read, perhaps mistakenly, that as the gh2 records 4:2:2, that the usb connection of the gh2 cant handle all that info so will compress it on its way into my mac and reduce the quality of the image...and that what i should do is capture over hdmi and for this i would need a capture card which was capable of capturing hdmi"
This is wrong.
The GH2 records the same than the AF-100: AVCHD (8b/YUV/420 at some 27Mbps).
There is a crack that allows to record at 170Mbps and I guess that could be 422.
That gets recorded on the SD cards and can be copied to a Hard Drive via USB and then L&T with FC or directly L&T from the SD card.
In any case there is any re-compression. What you get in camera is directly converted to Prores.
Nothing to do with an IO card here.

What that people is that video are doing is something completely different.
They are recording directly from camera to HD skipping the AVCHD compression.
You can do that with an IO card or using an external recorder (KI-Pro, ATOMOS ninja/Samuray, NANO-Flash, etc).
The question is the quality of the HDMI out put of the camera and that is no much clear.
Modern pro video cameras put out 8/10b Uncompressed out of the SDI/HDMI.
HD DRLRs like Canon don't (this is why you haven't heard of people recording from a D5 or D7 directly from the HDMI).
About the GH2 there are many discussions and some people (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/122/861354#861358), but think that if that camera would have a full 8b Unc output you would be getting for 1K what you get with the AF-100 for 5K, and that is very little likely to happen.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]