FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shift Fields?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Tamou
Shift Fields?
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:31:49 am

When I log and capture a video from tape and use it in a HD sequence, I get an automatic "Shift Fields" filter attached to the captured clip with a -1 direction. I'm not sure if I need to delete that effect or keep it. Can anyone tell me what that is. Thank You.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Shift Fields?
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:53:04 am

What are your sequence settings? HD is either upper field or none, so there should be no reason for FCP to apply the shift fields filter. It does that if you put upper footage in a lower field sequence or vice versa.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:43:28 am

Assuming the footage is DV? That's normal. DV is lower field, and 1080i is upper.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Nov 18, 2011 at 7:47:09 am

FCP will add a shift fields filter if your source media is upper and the sequence is set to lower, or vice versa.

AS the established international standards defined an interlaced frame as field 1 (which has certain defined aspects to it) followed by field 2 (with slightly different properties) and the standards are easily available (e.g., ITU-R rec.601), no one has ever adequately explained to my why the DV format chose to encode fields the "wrong way round" or why manufacturers deliberately obfuscated the issue by inventing terminology such as up/down, top/bottom and even/odd for what was perfectly easy to understand beforehand. I hope that doesn't sound like a rant, I don't really care that much about it, I'm just still slightly curious after all these years...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]