FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP or Z7 issue?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordi robert
FCP or Z7 issue?
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:44:56 pm

Hi there
I have a few years experience on video production but its only since few months ago that I went HD. I bought the Sony Z7 and FCP.
I'm disappointed that I'm not getting the quality that I expected from such a HD camera and edit software and I can only think that I'm doing something wrong. I think the problem it may be a combination of things, camera settings and/or project/sequence settings.

please have a look at this footage and tell me if its normal the jerky video on the letters, which it gets worse when slowed down.
I tried different camera recording settings but I'm not happy with neither of them.

I have read many forums about interlace and progressive issues and can not believe that for many people jerky pans and unwanted strove effects are now acceptable.

What do you think?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP or Z7 issue?
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:55:53 pm

Firstly a 360p Youtube video is not a good way to assess anything to do with quality. Also it is for computer playback which is progressive so regardless of what you shoot you have a progressive display. Also your slo mos are all using frame blending.

So the primary question is what are you mostly shooting and where is your final files delivered and displayed because that will determine i or p origination and also shutter, movement speed and final processing for deliverables. If yo want smooth slo mos then faster frame rates are better. Also Motion using optical flow can produced better slo mos.

On top of all that is the fact that all modern cameras shooting to GOP codecs will have their own motion issues. HDV, XDCam, DSLRs are all using mpeg2 or mpeg4 variants which can have issues with fast motion.

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:30:20 am

Thank you Michael
I'm afraid I can not give you a straight answer. Some projects are for web, others for DVD and others for both.

is the following correct?
If its a video for web only i should shot progressive.
If its for dvd only, I should shot interlace.
What would you do if its a video that will go on web and DVD?

What i'm looking for is smooth pans, I normally shot at 50 shutter speed. Sometimes I may slow them down.
How do you do slowmotion on FCP without frame blending?

Thanks again Michael.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:38:10 am

As a general rule p for web and i for DVD is a good practice. i will give smoothest movement but needs to be nicely deinterlaced for the web version. Compressor does a great job of deinterlacing and rescaling using frame controls. Slow but excellent results. So for DVD and web, shoot i and then deinterlace the web only final.

Slo mos in FCP allow you to turn the frame blending on or off. Have a look in the speed control panel and the option to unticj frame blending is there. Also experiment with sending a shot to Motion to do the optical flow slo mos or speed ramping.

Return to posts index

jordi robert
on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:25:52 pm

Michael, thanks for your help.
just reading other posts in the forum and I was thinking that the video that i posted above was edited on the same timeline, mixing interlace and progressive clips. I didn't do any de-interlace or nothing. Could that be the problem?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]