FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Pro Res Aspect Ratio problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
diana pop
Apple Pro Res Aspect Ratio problem
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:03:02 pm

I edited a music video shot on a DSLR, and converted the footage to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 at 24fps.
In the Canvas window (in FCP), all the clips have black bars on both the top and the bottom, as in the footage is squished. It won't allow me to resize the height manually (it maintains a fixed size, so if I adjust the height, it automatically adjusts the width as well), and when I export the file with the same settings (ProRes 422 HQ 24p), the aspect ratio is stretched horizontally.

I also checked the footage I edited with to see if I had that aspect ratio problem before bringing it into FCP, but it's only after I export it that it's like that.

My sequence settings are Frame Size: 720 by 480 NTSC DV (3:2).. So I tried changing that to HD 1080i or Custom (1920 by 1080) but when I click ok, the footage in the Canvas window becomes 4 times smaller.

How do I fix this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple Pro Res Aspect Ratio problem
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:20:39 pm

Make a new sequence. Drop a clip into that sequence. When FCP asks "do you want to make the sequence settings match the clip settings?", click YES.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

diana pop
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:24:26 pm

Hi Shane,

My setting is set to "ask" for matching the sequence to the clip settings, BUT! it doesn't ask me for some reason..

Return to posts index

diana pop
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:21:56 pm

In the meantime, I opened up a new sequence with the right settings first, and then dragged a clip from my browser into it.. the problem went away, but if I copy and paste a clip from the first sequence, I run into the same issue.

SO, my question is how can I get the same clips I have in sequence 1 (maintaining the same in and out points and place on timeline) without having to basically re-edit the whole video again?

I apologize in advance for making a rookie mistake, and I appreciate any helpful suggestions!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:25:19 pm

Your sequence settings should match your footage. Open a new sequence. Drag one clip into the timeline and when FCP asks if you want to change the sequence settings to match say yes. Now you have a sequence that matches.

Edit in this timeline and the images should be fine. If you copy paste your old edit into this timeline, highlight all clips, select remove attributes>Basic Motion & Distort. This resets the scaling and distortion which is creating the stretch and black bars.

It will also remove any re-framing or scaling you deliberately did so beware you might have to readjust some framing.

Return to posts index

diana pop
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:08:45 am

Thanks so much - I did what you said but now I have black bars on the left and right sides of the footage.. I don't know what to doooo, where I went wrong, I've never run into this before.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:31:51 am

[diana pop] "My sequence settings are Frame Size: 720 by 480 NTSC DV (3:2)."
You need to make your sequence Anamorphic.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:02:55 am

[Rafael Amador] ""My sequence settings are Frame Size: 720 by 480 NTSC DV (3:2)."
You need to make your sequence Anamorphic."

But her footage is 1920 x 1080. Her sequence settings should be Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 24p 48 kHz.

Use the Easy Setup.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:56:58 am

Problem: video edited intro SD 4:3 sequence instead of HD sequence.
Fix: make a new sequence. Edit one shot in and say yes when it asks to match settings. Leave that clip for now as a reference. Copy and paste entire edit from other sequence. Now highlight that one clip you left. Copy it. Now highlight the rest of the clips and right click and paste attributes- basic motion and distort. If that's still off, sometimes you have to force it by going to that one clip's distort property and adjust it to something else, and then back. Then repeat the copy and paste attributes directions above. Sometimes distort doesn't copy as an attribute if it didn't get adjusted.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:30:49 pm

[Steve Eisen] "But her footage is 1920 x 1080. Her sequence settings should be Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 24p 48 kHz."
You are right, I thought he was trying to make NTSC and was getting letterboxing.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:20:05 pm

It's definitely a confusing post. You have to read a few times to understand.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]