Timecode Jumpson an exported FCP file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris patten
Timecode Jumpson an exported FCP file
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:52:04 pm

HI All,

I hoping someone can help here....

I work within a playout suite and we are recieving IMX 50i .mov that dont have continuos timecode. Basically, if an editor cut something out, when they export the file, threw FCP, the exported MOV, doesn't have continous TC. It's referecing the source timecode of the file, so after transcoding the MOV to MXF, the file playing-out threw iTX, displays BARS & TONES as ITX can't referecne the TC.

Now this is nothing to do with transcoding, this is nothing to do with iTX but everything to do the .MOV we are recieveing, which has been exported threw FCP....could anyone shed somelight?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Timecode Jumpson an exported FCP file
on Nov 19, 2011 at 1:35:21 am

This makes no sense whatsoever.
A QT timecode track CANNOT be discontinuous. This is out of specs.

So the problem lies elsewhere.
Do note, QT TC is a QT track. That can be duplicated / edited / copied / pasted.
You can have virtually unlimited TC tracks in one file, but it depends on the host to decide what track to use.

You can have a mismatch between video FPS and TC fps. So it is very well possible to paste a 3 fps TC track onto a 25 fps video track.

You could delete the TC track and start without TC. that should solve the issue.
Or, refresh the TC track (Use my QTchange to do so if you have more than a few clips to process)
But how are you transcoding to MXF? Trough FCP? I have never ever have encountered trouble in an FCP MXF export...
(and i've done a fair share of them for automated playout...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

chris patten
on Nov 19, 2011 at 11:21:28 am

Hi Bouke

Firstly, thanks you for getting back to me

I think there been some confusion or perhaps I wasn;t clear last time. I'm not using FCP to transcode to MXF. The 50i MOV is being exported though FCP and when the export is complete, I then transcode the file using Rhozet carbon Coder. When Rhozet, has completed the transcode, when I spot check the file in ITX, the timecode jumps happen around edited points. So if 1:30 has been edited out at the start of the programm, after bars and tone (which run from 09:58:30:00 to 09:59:59:24) the program would start at 10:01:30:00 & not 10:00:00:00!!!! Its crazy I know!!!!!

I dont understand why or how this happening, the only thing I can think of if that thiers a problem with the file header?

This makes no sense whatsoever.
A QT timecode track CANNOT be discontinuous. This is out of specs.

So the problem lies elsewhere.
Do note, QT TC is a QT track. That can be duplicated / edited / copied / pasted.
You can have virtually unlimited TC tracks in one file, but it depends on the host to decide what track to use.

You can have a mismatch between video FPS and TC fps. So it is very well possible to paste a 3 fps TC track onto a 25 fps video track.

You could delete the TC track and start without TC. that should solve the issue.
Or, refresh the TC track (Use my QTchange to do so if you have more than a few clips to process)
But how are you transcoding to MXF? Trough FCP? I have never ever have encountered trouble in an FCP MXF export...
(and i've done a fair share of them for automated playout...)

Bouke

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:46:38 pm

well, i don't know ITX nor your transcoder, but:
If you import the QT back into FCP, what TC does it have then?

If that is indeed the 10:01:30:00, your transcoder is retaining the QT TC. That should be normal. You then only have to export the QT with the correct TC, or alter it.

Bouke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]