FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow AJA Ki-Pro ProRes LT to H.264 FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Darius
Workflow AJA Ki-Pro ProRes LT to H.264 FCP7
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:14:11 pm

I'm not new to using Final Cut or editing. I just wanted to ask about setting up a fast, workflow. I'm recording footage with the ki-pro for long format types of videos. 1hr to 2 hours. I usually export straight to ProRes LT from the timeline than into Quicktime for the exports. (I'd imagine this is slow.)

1) What is the best (meaning fastest, great qaulity) way to get the footage out of FCP and to H.264?
2) How can take advantage of multithreading?
3) Can this workflow be applied to HDV material as well to get it the H.264?
3) Are there alternatives to Compressor that do a better job and use multithreading for a single encode? (I've noticed handbrake uses all my cores for encodes as an example. It's 64 bit)
4) Does the wrapper for H.264 encodes such as mp4 or mov matter?

Any help would be wonderful. I know it's a lot of questions.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Workflow AJA Ki-Pro ProRes LT to H.264 FCP7
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:36:04 pm

Edit as usual. Export a QuickTime Movie from FCP. Drop that file into Compressor and choose an h.264 setting.

There are a few of hardware options to accelerate your h.264 exports.

1. Elgato Turbo.264 HD (USB stick)
2. Matrox Compress HD card (PCIe for Mac Pro)
3. Matrox MXO 2 with Max i/o boxes (Mini, LE and MXO 2) PCI-e and Thunderbolt options.
4. Matrox Majito Max Card (PCIe for Mac Pro)

[Matt Darius] "I usually export straight to ProRes LT from the timeline than into Quicktime for the exports"
Not sure what you mean. KiPro records ProRes and you transfer the file to your hard drive. You edit then export either self-contained or reference QuickTime Movie.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Matt Darius
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:52:17 pm

Thanks Steve for getting back to me.

I just transfer the ProRes footage off onto my hard drive, inport into FCP, I than do my editing. Usually I say save as a quicktime movie and not with quicktime conversion and make a reference movie. That is the correct way? Is that the way you might do it? There is no other way to get the files out of quicktime a bit faster?

Do you know of any software options to make H.264 exports? Compressor crashes way too often. Any luck with Sorensen Squeeze or Telestream Episode? Or is the hardware way better?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:49:18 pm

We use Episode Engine which offers "Split & Stitch" this breaks up a long file and distributes it across a cluster of machines, then assembles it back into one file. It can go as fast as you have money for hardware and cluster seats. I think the stand alone Episode Pro will do the same but will be limited to the cores on that one machine.

Compressor can do the same thing but keeping a Compressor cluster standing is harder than a drunken coed wearing 5 inch heels. ;)

Stomp is the only low cost app I've seen spread processing across multiple instances of it's self.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]