FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 7 Encoding/Quality Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Durr
Final Cut 7 Encoding/Quality Issue
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:04:08 pm

I do all of my HD editing in FCP7. Typically, my final delivery is a compressed video that's going to be embedded in a Power Point presentation and used on a PC computer. What and how should I compress my...
(Frame Size) 1440x1080
(Aspect Ratio) HD 1440X1080 16X9
(Pixel Aspect Ratio) HD 1440X1080
(Editing Timebase) 23.98
(Compressor) Apple ProRes 422

If those are my Sequence Settings in FCP7 how do I get a nice looking compressed video about 720pixels wide that will play cleanly in Power Point on a PC computer. I have tried many different ways and I have still not found a great option. These are going to cheap laptops with not much space.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Michael

Return to posts index

Dennis Noel Gomez
Re: Final Cut 7 Encoding/Quality Issue
on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:43:01 pm

Hi Michael,

For what you're describing, I find that converting to MPEG-4 or WMV is a pretty suitable output format.

I normally just use the MPEG-4 setting on compressor, possibly increase the video bit rate on the Inspector tab and that does a pretty decent job of outputting the videos. MPEG Streamclip also does a pretty good job of converting to MPEG-4.

For WMV files, you can purchase Telestream's Flip4Mac, I got the "WMV Studio" ($49), and this will let you use MPEG Streamclip to output to Windows Media format.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Dennis

Dennis Noel Gomez
Video Editor
Motion Graphics Designer
Take One Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Durr
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:43:10 pm

This is very helpful my only other question is resizing the video so it is not full HD. Do you do that on export in Compressor or MPEG Streamclip? I am trying to get away from creating another sequence and making it smaller. I would like to just have one full HD edit that I export to a smaller size.
Does that question make sense?

-mike

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:34:28 am

Whenever I get a client that wants me to convert video for powerpoint on a pc.

I always give them a windows media file.

If it's SD the size is: 640x480 30fps

If it's HD the size is: 640x360 30fps

In final cut pro I export with quicktime conversion and do the resizing there (looks better that way) then convert it with compressor. I have the flip4mac .wmv plugin.

never failed me or my clients yet...done lots of them.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:56:29 am

I've done these jobs too.

Client gives me a badly designed PP presentation using small cursive fonts. No SAFE areas whatsoever. Original file is 1024x768. I size this down to slightly smaller than 640x480 to create the SAFE area.

They get a SD DVD and wonder why it doesn't look as good as their computer file!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:42:18 pm

If you want 720 pixels wide, 720x404 is the size to go.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:51:39 pm

Sean & Raf I think he was talking about embedding videos into a powerpoint, but your both right.

Return to posts index

Michael Durr
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:25:58 pm

I have been using 720X404, but if I am creating a WMV at 720X404 from an Apple 1440X1080 what program should I use to make that WMV?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:29:13 am

[Chris Borjis] "Sean & Raf I think he was talking about embedding videos into a powerpoint, but your both right."
You are right, and the truth is that I don't know much about Power Point.

[Michael Durr] "I have been using 720X404, but if I am creating a WMV at 720X404 from an Apple 1440X1080 what program should I use to make that WMV?"
I think that the only solution for Mac is Flip4mac. That's an QT Component, so you would get it as an option when exporting from any QT based application, but If I'm not wrong, F4M doesn't resizes. If so you should do it with Compressor.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]