FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow & DVDSP menu quality

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Orpe
Workflow & DVDSP menu quality
on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:17:42 pm

Hi there

I have FCP Studio 7 and DVDSP 4 and I have just strated a wedding videography business. After reading these forums I have taken all your advice and am pretty sure I now have the correct workflow which is this:

Capture footage from my Sony V1E (1440x1080) Compressor HDV 1080i50 (I shoot with the 25p option) although there is a down convert to DVCAM option too?
Set Sequence Settings to match footage
Edit
Export - Quicktime movie - Current Settings - Make Movie Self Contained (so they get a copy on a hard drive at full quality)
Open exported movie with compressor - Drag on DVD best quality 120 minutes then submit
Drag the 2 files into DVDSP
Make my menu
Burn

My questions are

1. Is this definitely the best workflow for making the best quality DVD's?
2. The DVD menu I choose is one of the wedding templates in DVDSP (Brush Cover) and it looks lovely on the screen but when I have made the DVD the menu looks really poor quality on my TV, is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks so much for any answers

Mich

Michelle Orpe
http://www.michelleorpe.com

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
Re: Workflow & DVDSP menu quality
on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:35:44 pm

Hi...

I shoot 24p with DSLRs so I can't help with your sequence workflow, but I can comment on the DVD menu quality. It's nothing you are doing, and it's not your TV. The quality is just bad.

If anyone has a solution to the quality issue, I'd love to heard it :

Best Regards!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:17:35 pm

Perhaps a silly question, but do you take the right format of the template? There are NTSC and PAL versions

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:11:08 pm

Hi...

For me, I know I'm not PAL.

The other troubling aspect of DVD Studio Pro is it lacks 16x9 templates, so when you change a template to 16:9 ~ all it does is stretch it.

Best Regards!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:15:29 pm

One reason the menu might look poor on your TV is the method by which your DVD player is connected to the TV. Best will be HDMI or component, next best is S-video, worst is composite (a single little RCA/phono plug).

Otherwise, it's just the case that it is somewhat difficult to make graphics look polished and professional on SD video, especially now that most people are accustomed to a level of image and motion quality from streaming or playing back HD on progressive screen devices like laptops, iPads, and many flat screen TVs.

Return to posts index

Michelle Orpe
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:12:05 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses, it is interesting what you say about how the DVD is plugged in, I never knew that made a difference. Mine is attached just using a scart so I guess that really doesn't help. I need to invest in a new DVD player anyway so I might look for a really good one that connects by HDMI...any suggestions :-)

I use Pal and the template is set up correctly.

I want to try making an HD video with the same template and burning to Blu Ray. I'm researching at the moment to find out how to do this. Can any of you help me with this. This is my set up:

Mac OS X 10.6.8
FCP7
Compressor
DVDSP

I'm guessing I need to buy a blu ray burner and LG and Pioneer seem to be the ones people are recommending and apparently I can't make the menu and use DVDSP and apparently I need to use Encore...is this right?

Then I let you know how the menu looks to lol

Mich

Michelle Orpe
http://www.michelleorpe.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]