FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correct setting for DV in 1920 sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Hall
Correct setting for DV in 1920 sequence
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:13:40 am

I am creating a sequence using NTSC DV, non anamorphic in a 1080/60i x 1920 timeline. I am wondering what are the correct pixel settings to use to maintain the correct and original aspect of the DV footage? Below are grabs of two options, Square pixel setting produces a less box-like aspect.

and DV Pixel option:

which creates a very square aspect, is this the correct setting?

Any ideas on what is the ideal setting to avoid problems later would be most welcome.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Correct setting for DV in 1920 sequence
on Nov 16, 2011 at 12:39:22 pm

[Peter Hall] "I am creating a sequence using NTSC DV, non anamorphic in a 1080/60i x 1920 timeline. I am wondering what are the correct pixel settings to use to maintain the correct and original aspect of the DV footage?"
There is something I don't understand.
Do you mean that the the footage is DV 4x3 non Anamorphic), and you want to keep that aspect?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 16, 2011 at 1:25:27 pm

Hi Rafael, thanks for your reply: Yes, I want to keep the DV the same, but the pixel aspect settings in the sequence settings, as my screengrabs show, give different results. I want to know which is the correct pixel aspect setting. Thank you.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 16, 2011 at 2:45:54 pm

Create an Easy Setup. Choose ProRes LT or ProRes. Just drop the DV clips into the sequence and don't change anything.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:30:51 pm

If you want the final output to be HD, then the sequence must be 1920x1080 Square pixels.
The NTSC stuff that you drop on top will keep his original aspect ratio.
make sure that the DV clip gets the Shift-fields filter when dropped in the time-line.
HD is Upper first while DV is Lower.
rafael

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:49:31 pm

Hi Rafael, in the "Shift-fields filter" does it default or do I need to set it to +1 or-1 ?

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:45:32 pm

Hi Steve, I did that and these are the screens:

And this below when applying the easy preset to the new sequence, not sure if the field domiance is correct for NTSC DV or the pixel aspect ratio? Just leave it this way?

Thanks in advance to help set this up correctly.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:08:09 am

Hi Peter,
+1 or -1 is the same.
The picture is displaced 1 line up or down.
Only when for any reason the picture needs to be shifted twice (that happens some times when editing SD PAL in an SD time-line) is convenient to shift first time in one sense and the next in the other.
rafael

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:24:13 am

Thanks Rafael - I made some test QT movies without using the "switch field" effect and played them outside of FCP and they looked fine. (although yet to test on a CRT monitor) I suppose this may change when played back in another format or on the web?

I will try using one of the De-Interlacers that you suggested on another thread on certain clips that have stepped edges. (Revision FieldsKit, Nattress De-Interlacers, Jes.) I assume its ok to DE-interlace only the clips where the stepping is chronic. It would be nice if one could apply de-interlacing only on the portion of the frame that needs it. (Like a MB Power Mask function). Someone recomended De Interlacing all DV footage if the finished video is for computer monitors or the web?

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:55:04 am

Well, if you gonna export the movie as i60, I think that to avoid problems you should make to match the field order of the footage and sequence. Your sequence will be rendered with the field order you set in the Sequence Setting. if you are making any kind of dissolve or animation could look very ugly.
You can make a short test with a piece of footage with movement. Try a dissolve to another clip with movement and have a look. Play it with the canvas set at 100%.
If the picture is very static (no action) you may not notice any interlacing issue.

[Peter Hall] "Someone recomended De Interlacing all DV footage if the finished video is for computer monitors or the web?"
Anything to be played in a computer screen must be progressive be (web videos included) because computers screens are progressive.
You can edit interlaced and de-interlace all the movie in the end but things like animated graphics, dissolves or wipes, won't look as good as if you edit in a progressive sequence and deinterlace the footage on top.
rafael

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:39:26 pm

Thanks for the clarity Rafael, I have a much better idea of what and why now. I will need to get a decent de-interlacer as the default FCP de-interlacer really softens the image. So you recomend de-interlacing all NTSC DV footage that's to be viewed on computers?
Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:56:40 pm

[Peter Hall] "So you recomend de-interlacing all NTSC DV footage that's to be viewed on computers?"
Sure.
You may not notice the interlaced combing in YOUR computer, but in others can be really noticeable.
In many small web videos that are uploaded as interlaced, the interlacing is not noticeable because many websites de-interlace on compression.
Also QT doesn't support interlaced for clips below a certain size (can't remember the right numbers), so there is always forced a deinterlacing that you can't control.
Better do it yourself.
There is lot of great stuff in the web (many reels here in The COW) that shows a really annoying interlacing.
rafael
PS: I've stop working interlaced long ago to skip all the deinterlacing hassel.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:05:15 pm

Sorry wrong post.

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:17:34 pm

Thank you Rafael, I've also been shooting progressive but some of that old DV footage desperately needs re-editing, and working with what are now relatively such low res images, I want to give it the best chance. Thank you.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]