FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF Files Not Compatible? Stuttering?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Chambers
MXF Files Not Compatible? Stuttering?
on Nov 15, 2011 at 7:58:53 pm

Hi there,

I recently received some MXF files from a production company that I needed to import into Final Cut Pro 7.

I downloaded a free trial of iMedia Converter and now I'm able to import the MXFs into FCP.

The stats of the files are 1920 x 1080, 59.94 fps, Compressor H.264, data rate: 1.1 MB/sec.

What sequence setting should I use in Easy Setup? Does anyone know what camera these are from? (I'm used to working with Sony XDCAM.)

I've used:

• DVCPRO HD - 1080i60
• HDV - 1080i60
• HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60

The playback on the files stutter/don't play back in real time.

Does anyone have any suggestions...thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF Files Not Compatible? Stuttering?
on Nov 15, 2011 at 8:23:17 pm

[Peter Chambers] "I recently received some MXF files from a production company that I needed to import into Final Cut Pro 7."

What produced these MXF files? Avid Media Composer? Canon XF camera? This is something you need to know before you can really move forward. If from the XF cameras, there's a Log and Transfer plugin for importing these via the normal tapeless import workflow with FCP:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

[Peter Chambers] "I downloaded a free trial of iMedia Converter and now I'm able to import the MXFs into FCP."

What does that do? Just enable FCP to see the MXF files natively? Or did you convert them?

[Peter Chambers] "The stats of the files are 1920 x 1080, 59.94 fps, Compressor H.264, data rate: 1.1 MB/sec."

FCP doesn't edit H.264 files. Period. 1080p 59.94? Meaning 1080p 60fps? That's a non-standard video rate, and one that has a HIGH data rate. That, coupled with the files being H.264. No, FCP will nor work with this format. Gotta convert to ProRes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 16, 2011 at 2:11:24 pm

Thanks Shane.

I just emailed the company to ask them what camera they shot on.

iMedia Converter just converts the MXF to whatever you want, (in this case *.mov)

I'm wondering if the 54.94 fps (or 60 fps) is the reason why the clips are playing in what seems like fast forward and stuttering. I currently have them placed in a sequence where the frame rate is 60fps. I will try to make the sequence 30 fps and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:11:58 pm

Also, the MXFs come from a Panasonic HVX.

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:20:01 pm

I can't seem to find the FCP plugin anywhere. Do you know where I could find it?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:30:14 pm

Just watched your tutorial. The folder structure does not exist. All I have are the MXF files.

Am I sunk?

Return to posts index

Brian Vedholm
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:35:31 am

Don't know about iMedia Converter. I work with Avid MXF files (SD) in Fcp7 and I use MXF import QT. I reads the files without converting. You can get a free trial:

http://home.mxf4mac.com/quicktime-plug-ins
http://hamburgpromedia.com/

Rgds,
Brian

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:25:30 pm

Thanks Brian. I'll try it.

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 23, 2011 at 7:32:08 pm

Installing this software from the company is a pain in the ass. Thanks anyway Brian...

As for my solution; I have requested that the production company send me the original folder structure from the P2 cards. I will follow Shane Ross' tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

...and hopefully I will finally be able to get these files to work.

Return to posts index

Brian Vedholm
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:34:02 pm

Sorry, Peter, should have warned you about the complexity installing the plug-in. Happily forgot all about that part. You would have to send for an activation code after installing. The company do reply quite fast, though.
Anyway glad you found a possible solution to your problem.
Coming to think of it, buying a plug-in designed to work only with FCP7 might not be the best investment with FCPX taking over.

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:11:50 am

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]