FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence Frame Rate Confusion in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Frame
Sequence Frame Rate Confusion in FCP 7
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:34:22 pm

Hi folks,
The vast majority of the footage on my FCP 7 timeline is Apple ProRes 442, 1440X1080, 23.98 (the sequence settings match the footage) but I have a query about footage of a different frame rate. I was always under the impression that FCP 7 hates having mix and match frame rates (and codecs) and that compressor was needed to convert 'em so that everything would run smoothly. Thing is, I have some footage shot on the same camera (HV20) that is 29.97 and in HDV1080i60 and when I plop it onto the timeline, it SEEMS to assimilate pretty well. Yes, there is a green render line indicator but it plays back smoothly with nary a stutter even when it is placed in between 2 clips with the original frame rate and codec.

So, my question: is this a bad idea and an editing faux pas to have footage with 2 different frame rates and codecs working side by side? WIll the 29.97 HDV footage suffer on export because it doesn't match the sequence settings? Can transitions be added between a 23.98 clip and a 29.97 clip?

I've never quite understood this and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sequence Frame Rate Confusion in FCP 7
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:39:46 pm

Does it work? Yes, it will work. You can put clips with varying frame rates into one sequence and edit it with FCP. Will it look good? Well, know that FCP doesn't add nor remove pulldown properly, so when putting 23.98 footage into a 29.97 sequence, it looks "skippy" because very 4th frame is repeated..instead of spreading out the frames between fields.

And putting 29.97 into 23.98 removes frame oddly...also resulting in skipping.

Does it look good to you? Fine. Others might notice it. And know that if you sent your final for broadcast, most likely it'd get rejected do to bad cadence.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Frame
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:52:04 pm

So best to put the 29.97 stuff thru Compressor to match the frame rate and codec of the 23.98 footage to avoid it looking 'skippy'?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:53:02 pm

Yes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Frame
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:55:42 pm

Cheers, thanks Shane. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:26:42 pm

So best to put the 29.97 stuff thru Compressor to match the frame rate and codec of the 23.98 footage to avoid it looking 'skippy'?

Shane, will compressor remove the proper frames for this conversion from 29.97 to 23.976? Or is Cinema Tools a better option?

I have a similar situation and would really like to keep my 23.98 sequence vs. working in 29.97.

Also, in another situation, almost exactly reversed from the other, I do have a 29.97 sequence and 1 clip needs to be added. That clip is 23.98 and I've added pulldown in AE and rendered out to http://WWWSS cadence. My question is my 29.97 sequence is Progressive (because the DP shot 30p on one of the Sony XD Cam cameras), but isn't the newly converted clip with pulldown added now Interlaced? Can you add pulldown to 23.98 clip and get a 29.97 Progressive clip? And how would you do that?

What is the proper conversion there?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]