FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't open a quicktime file from FC on a PC.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Can't open a quicktime file from FC on a PC.
on Nov 15, 2011 at 12:26:29 pm

Hi there
I hope I am posting in the right place...
I have got a QT file rendered out to me (from Final Cut) which I need to open on my PC.
The file is:
Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)Integer (little endian)
It opens on a very old Mac I have (so old it's not really functioning, but it opens)
When opening on a PC I get an Error -2048.
My QuickTime is up to date
I never experienced such issues and I do a lot of video work.

Needless to say I have installed Apple's ProRes codec which was up to date...
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W...

Can anyone please direct me in the right codec/direction...?

Thanks for any input.

Adam

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Can't open a quicktime file from FC on a PC.
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:13:39 pm

I believe you can only view Prores on a PC. With the Prores decoder installed that is. There is no Codec available for windows. It only comes with Final Cut Pro (legacy or the new X). You also get it when you buy Compressor or Motion so you could buy either for $50 if you're on a Mac to get the Prores codecs.

Your best bet if they're on a Mac is to have them render out as DVCPRO HD, XDCAM, or they can download Avid DNxHD codec, export as that...you download it as well...free for both...and you should be fine. Prores is, IMHO, the best but won't work for Win users. If oure on a Mac and it's installed, it's available from all video apps.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:24:59 pm

If you only need to view, I would ALWAYS suggest trying VLC on the PC- quicktime on PC isnt the best...but then, it is a PC...

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:00:19 pm

[Adam Lewen] "When opening on a PC I get an Error -2048.
My QuickTime is up to date"

Then should open.
Try reinstalling QT on your PC.
Look for any QT Preferences or so (don't know much about Windows), and trash it too.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Nov 15, 2011 at 5:07:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.
If anything happens i'll update.
VLC will not play the file as well.
I uninstalled and re-installed QT...

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:06:59 am

Adam,
Is this the error you got?:
"error 2048 could not open filename.mov because it is not a file quicktime understands"

If so, then I suspect that, from what I've read elsewhere, you have a file issue. And not a codec (ProRes) issue. Some suggest the -2048 error is a Registry error. "Most of the time, error 2048 is caused because of a corrupt Windows registry." I read elsewhere.

If it was a codec issue, you would normally be able to open the file in QuickTime, but not see the vision; just a grey screen or only the timeline, like it is an audio-only file.

Neil.

Return to posts index

Eric Joyce
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:16:50 am

Error -2048 cropped up on a delivery I made of ProRes HQ exports from FCP 6.0.5 on OSX 10.6.4.

Four videos were rendered to self-contained files and burnt to a data DVD for both Mac and PC using Toast. They all played fine on my Mac, but all of them except one opened on my client's PC.

In our case, the problem seemed to be this: the file causing error -2048 was the only one of the four over 2 GB and was apparently not re-assembling correctly when copied from DVD to the client's PC. This seems like a problem with the FAT32 format, though Windows did not complain at the time of the copy.

The solution was this: our client copied the files from the data DVD to a Mac first, then saved them to their network (I don't know which platform their server runs) and copied them from the network to the PC.

They told me that this has happened to them before with font files. If the files hit a PC first, they can become irrevocably corrupted... though I never encountered a font file over 2GB, so maybe something else is going wrong?

Let the lesson be this: large files should be delivered to hard drives with known formatting or they'll never be right thereafter.

http://www.ericjoycefilm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]