FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing on-set from RED camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ru McLeod
Editing on-set from RED camera
on Nov 15, 2011 at 5:47:20 am

Hi,

I have been approached by a client to edit on-set for a commercial shoot. He is shooting RED and I'm guessing I will be there just to cut 'rough'. I must be the only FCP editor to have avoided RED footage up 'til now so I'm completely in the dark and would appreciate any advice I can get. I currently have FCP 6.0.6 though I will shortly be running Vers 7. Apologies for lack of specifics .

MacBook Pro 17"
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
1TB external storage

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Editing on-set from RED camera
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:18:28 am

You can't edit RED native on your setup. Everything has to be converted to ProRes first. This is slower than real time on a grunty MacPro so you might be starting the edit the next day unless they shoot low ratio short clips and shoot slowly.

Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5 would be a better tool for this but also your computer is a tad underpowered even running software that can handle r3d native. A MacPro preferably with an NVIDIA card and a Red Rocket card would be more suitable.

Return to posts index

Ru McLeod
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:25:40 am

Thank you Michael - I'd better hire in more capable kit me thinks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:26:42 pm

If it is about rough-cutting for the acting performance, and not to check comps for something like green screening, perhaps another way to go is to take a tap off the RED camera in another format, using a hardware-based converter before it hits the NLE?

Return to posts index

Ru McLeod
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:38:38 pm

Thanks for your advice Mark - that would seem a great work-around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]