FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture from laptop direct into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Alexander
Capture from laptop direct into FCP
on Nov 14, 2011 at 4:54:04 pm

I would like to capture video and audio from a client's laptop directly into FCP. (I tried searching about this first of course but I guess I wasn't using the correct search terms) She needs to play clips out of her computer using some Windows type editing software while I capture it for further editing in FCP. She has VGA and RCA out. The quality needs to be "ok" but doesn't have to be great. Any suggestions please?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capture from laptop direct into FCP
on Nov 14, 2011 at 5:42:13 pm

YOu need a SCAN CONVERTER...like this one from Matrox:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/pc/convert_dvi_family/

Then you will need a capture card on the computer you intend to capture it onto.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Alexander
on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:54:06 pm

Thanks. I need to try and find a low(er) cost solution.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:45:55 pm

Instead of recording the output from her laptop, why not get the video files from her computer and convert it to a codec FCP likes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Alexander
on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:39:00 pm

These are deposition videos and require client to jump from depo to depo in her proprietary app and to include the matching on screen text as well. She indicated she cannot export the files, but I need to ask her about that again. It seems like it should be an option for her.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:45:44 pm

Then to capture everything exactly as the lawyer is doing it, I also would suggest a scan converter, which can be found as low priced as 99 dollars from places like TigerDirect, or get a screen recording program installed like Camtasia, which will record everything that goes on with the laptop (I don't know if it does the audio as well, you may have to record that separately and synch it up later).

The screen recorder makes very large but high quality files, which can do things like zoom in and pan, that you then directly import into your editing system. Sometimes they bog down the laptops that they are recording. Camtasia is just one of several such screen recording programs, some cheaper, some more expensive. The scan converter may be something your local Pro AV rental place can rent to you for a nominal charge. Or maybe try Ebay. Scan converters get better and more fully-featured as the price goes up. I find they are all the same in the basic 100-200 dollar category, and only get really good with better detail and controls, when you get in the $2k and up range. A simple one I use as part of my home teleprompting was 99 bucks, the ones we use to grab powerpoints and things at the office is a $6k model that does a LOT.

I would tell your lawyer friend that this ( the cheap scan converter) is as cheap as it gets without doing unethical or technologically primitive practices like shooting the laptop screen with an ELMO evidence cam. (I have heard of this being done when people don't understand the cables and connectors and have no technologically adept assistance).

Look, it costs what it costs. Buy the cheap scan converter, it's a good tool to keep around, connect that to a camcorder to turn the video into DV and firewire for FCP, or feed the scan converter to your NLE system's video card inputs, set FCP to capture without remote controls, bill the firm and they will in turn bill *someone* for it. Of that you can be sure.

Here's one you can get in 24 hours, for 69 bucks. That's a lunch break for your lawyer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]