FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Darling
5D Project
on Nov 14, 2011 at 2:14:45 pm

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago regarding a 5D Mk II project I'm doing in Final Cut, and I have a follow-up question:

I've been filming hour-long interviews, which since I've filmed on a 5D have had to be filmed in 12 minute chunks. I was going to put all the chunks of each interview together and then export as one hour-long default "Export as Quicktime Movie" on FCP so that it's more manageable.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't do that, rather than keeping each interview as 5 separate ProRes files?

Thanks to anyone willing to give help

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: 5D Project
on Nov 14, 2011 at 4:27:57 pm

[Marshall Darling] "Is there any reason that I shouldn't do that"

Unless you leave appropriate gaps in your timeline, you will struggle to match back to the original files, should you ever need to, because the timecodes will not match up. The question I would ask is "Is there any reason that you should do that?" I personally can't see much benefit in doing so. What is the problem with having 5 ProRes files?

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
View Post Blue showreel
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Marshall Darling
on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:28:25 pm

The main issue I have is that I recorded the audio separately. My initial idea was that instead of having to sync up the audio file I have with the movie file every time, I was going to sync them together as the whole interview in one file and then just work from that, getting rid of the original ProRes files.

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:46:54 pm

Why not create an additional sequence in Final Cut just for your interview? You can lock the synced audio in place, and you'll have all of your interview in one place. You can use whatever sections of it you see fit in your main edit in another sequence. We work mostly with the 5D, and this is generally the way we do it. It works pretty well for us.

As Shane says, if something happens to your media, and you need to reconnect later, you might find it problematic and time consuming to do so if you export a clip and then have to re-create it exactly.

Return to posts index

Marshall Darling
on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:35:02 am

I have close to 30 interviews for this project, so doing what you suggested for each one just seems cumbersome and almost impractical. Also, my footage is spread over 2 harddrives anyway, and I'm saving the actual project to a third harddrive, so I'd have to reconnect to the different media throughout the editing process anyway.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 14, 2011 at 5:47:17 pm

[Marshall Darling] "Is there any reason that I shouldn't do that, rather than keeping each interview as 5 separate ProRes files?"

Let's say your media drive dies. Or your media goes offline for some reason. Now you will need to re-ingest the footage. If you keep them as separate files, they will automatically relink to your project and connect properly. If you made new QTs...you will have to try to re-create that process and hope they reconnect. If you are off by as much as a frame, you will have issues. And the timecode needs to match exactly in order for it to work right.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]