FORUMS: list search recent posts

MIxed format sequences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Hines
MIxed format sequences
on Nov 13, 2011 at 12:05:27 pm

I have two sequences. Sequence 1 entirely PAL HD, sequence 2 is a mix of PAL HD and NTSC SD. I want to create a DVD which my friends can view on an American (NTSC?) TV.

If I understand the manual correctly FC Pro does all the work for me so I can just load the various clips and the software will handle the different formats, qualities (HD vs SD), field dominance, etc.

What I am unsure about is should I specify the same settings for both sequences or can I specify a PAL HD setting for sequence 1 and an NTSC setting for sequence 2?

When I export can I use Quicktime and export for DVD Studio Pro? If so do both sequences have to be exported using the same compressor? If not then does DVD Studio Pro sort everything out and give me an NTSC DVD?

Sorry if these are simplistic questions, I´m a little new to this!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MIxed format sequences
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:59:59 pm

[Ian Hines] "If I understand the manual correctly FC Pro does all the work for me so I can just load the various clips and the software will handle the different formats, qualities (HD vs SD), field dominance, etc."

The manual is wrong. That is a product of Apple Marketting. FCP does NOT mix frame rates well. Not at all, and doesn't scale SD to HD well (software upconversion is VERY poor compared to hardware upconversion, like Terranex, or at least hardware capture cards, like the AJA Kona 3 or Matrox MXO2). Mixing formats and frame rates in FCP is just about the worse way you can do things.

And while the hardware capture cards can upconvert SD to HD, and convert HD to SD....they cannot change the frame rate. For that you need the Terranex, snell/wilcox...or to use Compressor and modify the basic settings. There is also software plugins that might work for you, for STANDARDS CONVERSIONS...NTSC to PAL, or PAL to NTSC. http://www.nattress.com has such a plugin...STANDARDS CONVERSION. Demo is available, so give it a try.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian Hines
on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:17:50 pm

Shane, Thanks for your very helpful (and illuminating) response. No wonder my output is stuttering!

You suggest several solutions - cheapest option seems to be to us Compressor. Do I have to use that on the source clip before I use it or can I use it with the timeline I have already created?

This is probably a one time requirement for me (I usually only use PAL) so I´d like to avoid buying the plug-in if I can!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 14, 2011 at 2:42:33 am

[Ian Hines] "Do I have to use that on the source clip before I use it or can I use it with the timeline I have already created?"

You have to use it on the footage before you drop it into the timeline. But with the plugin, you can apply it after it in the timeline.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian Hines
on Nov 14, 2011 at 5:26:17 am

Thank you very much Shane for taking the time to help me out. I will try the plugin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]