FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Export Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Butterfield
Compressor Export Issues
on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:01:23 pm

I am having problems getting a show out of FCP in that Compressor keeps failing the export and the Batch Monitor shows Quicktime Error: 0 Meanwhile I saw a reply on this thread suggesting exporting the sequence as a self contained movie, and then using Compressor to prep the DVD. This brings up another question. If there are multiple formats on the timeline and you want the best quality for every clip, it seems going directly from the Sequence to M2 + aC3 is best because you wouldn't be converting to all one format and then compressing again. Doesn't FCP, on a successful export, go back to the original media and therefore save a generation loss for varying clips? OK, that was more than one question. Insights appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Compressor Export Issues
on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:26:41 pm

[David Butterfield] "If there are multiple formats on the timeline and you want the best quality for every clip, it seems going directly from the Sequence to M2 + aC3 is best because you wouldn't be converting to all one format and then compressing again. Doesn't FCP, on a successful export, go back to the original media and therefore save a generation loss for varying clips?"

If you go to Sequence>Settings and look at what's selected in the "Compressor" drop-down, you'll see a single codec there that represents the codec that every video clip on your timeline will be rendered to. So, your concern may seem logical, but it's not.

Use Export Quicktime Movie at current settings, do not check the recompress all frames checkbox, and create a master file without losing a generation. Then take that file and churn out all other file types you require using Compressor.

And, if you use the Cow's search feature you'll find that most questions have been asked hundreds of time before.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Butterfield
on Nov 13, 2011 at 2:47:23 am

To those who responded on this thread and others, a big thank you. I do go to the User's Manuals before coming here and it is clear that one should be able to export from a sequence without the work-around we've been discussing. I did find one warning in Compressor's manual, I think, that suggested a sequence heavy with effects would slow things down. That makes sense but no where is it indicated that Compressor can only prep for a DVD part of the time, and only for short sequences. The extra step of creating an intermediate .mov I do not believe is mentioned in either FCP or Compressor manuals. So we see the value of the COW and the generous and patient people who advise here. Time is the most precious thing of all and this forum saves it. I do use the search features and it often sidetracks you with so many fascinating threads. It certainly is grand, that as frustration mounts, folks are here with support. Meanwhile, we're still not able to complete an export of this feature length timeline. Short tests of 1 min. from the sequence and from the intermediate do work. The complete show export fails after about 3 hours. We are trying everything and open to suggestions on how to solve this FCP/Compressor problem.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:16:47 am

David,

I routinely export 90-min projects without issue, so you are experiencing something that is not FCP-centric.

If making a self contained Quicktime of the entire sequence, as I previously mentioned, does in fact work as expected, creating a perfect master of your project, then a compressor problem is indicated. And, I would hazard a guess that one of the following two issues are almost certainly at fault.

1) The hard drive you're directing Compressor to write to may be too full?

2) Compressor preferences are messed up and you'll need to trash them? Get Preference Manager from http://www.digitalrellion.com to do the job (it's free).

Good luck David... I'm signing off for the evening.

David

3) Pilot error?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]