FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to prep a dvd for Theatre showing AND Title Safe advice??????????

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Coakley
How to prep a dvd for Theatre showing AND Title Safe advice??????????
on Nov 12, 2011 at 3:35:41 pm

Hi there
I really don't have a great understanding of how to set up my final cut projects to play back on full screen.
Is there a website that or any good books that would give me basics about dvd formats and sizes etc. Something simple and understandable. For now though my two main questions are.

1 What steps must I take to make sure my any dvd I burn is played at full screen in a theatre
2. How do I also achieve full screen dvd's for regular playback on tv. The last dvd I created I resized the
video in final cut so it was just inside the outer square but when I played it back there were black bars around the image.

Also an unrelated question but when I send the final cut project to compressor what is the difference
between "DVD Best Quality MPEG2 90mins" and "HD H.264 90 mins"

Thanks
Any advice appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How to prep a dvd for Theatre showing AND Title Safe advice??????????
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:10:31 pm

The first Compressor preset is for SD DVD. the second is for BluRay, which is HD. As an aside, you can make a simple Blu Ray disc using Compressor. You cannot author BluRay using DVDSP. Ignore any references to HDDVD in DVD Studio Pro...they are for HD DVD, not BluRay. that format is dead. do not use it.

HD video has an aspect ratio of 16:9. Theatrical movies are not usually 16:9. this may be why you saw black bars. Theatrical movies are most commonly 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. Theatres set up for different ratios usually by adjusting the curtains surrounding the screen. Film aspect ratios are commonly letterboxed when transferred to video, even when presented in 16:9. Some choose to enlarge the image to fill the frame, chopping off the sides a bit.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:12:35 pm

1. This question depends on a lot of factors. What format is the source footage and is your sequence set to the same format? Is it 16:9 or 4:3? Are you making a DVD or a Blu-ray?

2. The answer to this question is the same as the answer to the first question. If you make a proper DVD, it can play back in either 16:9 or 4:3 depending on your footage and how you want it to look on the TV.

Your final question: "DVD Best Quality MPEG2 90mins" is the Compressor preset for encoding footage for standard DVDs. "HD H.264 90 mins" is the Compressor preset for Blu-ray encoding.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:18:23 pm

All DVDs are 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL. Widescreen video is the result of anamorphic stretching by the DVD player of 720 to 854. Resize all of your footage to DVD size before submitting it to a DVD encoder. If you have black bars on the top and bottom on a 16:9 television, your DVD video was encode the wrong way. Having black bars at the top and bottom is normal for a 4:3 television for 16:9 video. It's hard to really say what went wrong in your footage.

If you want to your DVD to play in a standard DVD player, use the 90 DVD best quality preset. If only want to play the video on a computer, use the HD 264 90 minute export preset.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]