FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing without firewire?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gilmore
Capturing without firewire?
on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:53:34 am

Hi I just recently purchased a MacBook (sadly not the pro edition)and purchased FCP. I use a Sony FX7 camera which only has a firewire, av out, and HDMI out, the Macbook does not have a firewire port. So I'm sure you can guess my question.. Is there a way to capture from my FX7 to FCP on my MacBook? I have tried the HDMI out and FCP doesn't recognized it and only has options for firewire or no connective device. Is there a way? Otherwise I have to capture footage onto a different program on my PC, then transfer it to an ext HDD then transfer it to the Mac, which becomes a pain. Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capturing without firewire?
on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:08:50 am

[Paul Gilmore] "Is there a way to capture from my FX7 to FCP on my MacBook?"

Nope. The capture can only happen via firewire.

[Paul Gilmore] "Otherwise I have to capture footage onto a different program on my PC, then transfer it to an ext HDD then transfer it to the Mac, which becomes a pain."

Yeah...HUGE pain. Because you'll capture to a format that FCP won't be able to work with, then you'll have to convert that format to one that FCP works with. And that might be a huge can of worms.

If you have a PC that has firewire, then I suggest getting software for that...Premiere Pro. Stick to that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Gilmore
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:30:50 am

Well I capture it as MPG files and they work fine in FCP so that' hasnt been an issue. Just a pain transferring then from one to the other.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:41:40 am

[Paul Gilmore] "Well I capture it as MPG files and they work fine in FCP so that' hasnt been an issue. Just a pain transferring then from one to the other."
If you can capture as AVI, then you can re-wrap them as QT with MPGstreamclip (Save as..QT).
Very fast and no quality lost in the process.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]