FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlaced/Progressive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helene Thomassen
Interlaced/Progressive
on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:40:24 am

I am shooting for the first time on a Canon xf100 and I am a bit confused whether to shoot Interlaced 50i or Progressive 25p.

I have already shot some footage at 50i(1920x1080) but have now realized, as I am going to project the footage digitally, that progressive is the better format(?). (I'm also experiencing some horizontal lines in my footage when there is movement of the camera.)

Should I change and shoot 25p? And if so, can I add the footage to the same sequence as the footage shot at 50i? Do I then Deinterlace the 50i footage? Can I do this in Fcp (FCP 7) or do I deinterlace the whole project in Compressor? Appreciate all help and advice!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Interlaced/Progressive
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:49:27 am

[Helene Thomassen] "I have already shot some footage at 50i(1920x1080) but have now realized, as I am going to project the footage digitally, that progressive is the better format(?)"
if you are going to a web video, working full progressive makes things easier.

[Helene Thomassen] "Should I change and shoot 25p? And if so, can I add the footage to the same sequence as the footage shot at 50i? Do I then Deinterlace the 50i footage? Can I do this in Fcp (FCP 7) or do I deinterlace the whole project in Compressor? Appreciate all help and advice!"
Yes.
Go progressive. You will need to de-interlace the footage already shoot (i50).
You can do it before hand with Compressor, or once in the FC p25 sequence.
Compressor does a better de-interlacing than the default FC filter, but there are third part plugins than makes a better job.
There is also a good free stand alone de-interlacer called Jes De-interlacer.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:49:13 pm

If that's to much work, you can just edit in an interlaced sequence. You can shoot the remainder progressive or interlaced. Won't make much difference. Simply de-interlace on export to your preferred format.

I prefer the higher temporal data of 50p/60p or 50i/60i, but if you're going to web or digital projection at 25p/30p then that's lost. Unless you want to broadcast at 1080i one day. There's no 1080p broadcast yet, is there? It would really have to be 1080 50/60p broadcast to be backwards compatible with SD interlaced stuff I would think, just like 720p is.

Return to posts index

Helene Thomassen
on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:08:07 pm

Thank you for your reply!

[Bret Williams] "f that's to much work, you can just edit in an interlaced sequence. You can shoot the remainder progressive or interlaced. Won't make much difference. Simply de-interlace on export to your preferred format."

Will the result really be the same if I shoot interlaced and then deinterlace on export, or if I shoot progressive and edit progressive?

Another perhaps stupid question. What is the difference between 50p and 25p? 50p as far as I understand has twice as many frames but is smaller in size (1280 x720), how is the image (and movement) experienced differently?

Return to posts index

Patrick Bronte
on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:13:00 am

Hey Brett,

I'm looking at a getting a Canon XF100 also: would it be a good idea to shot at 50p at 50mbps just to cover all bases? I'm wanting it as a step up from an HV40 HDV to shooting in "true" HD for Blue Ray initially , so I guess I'm asking is it a good idea to shot at it's highest specs in case the employer decides to use it for something more demanding like broadcast?

Return to posts index

Helene Thomassen
on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:55:47 pm

Thanks! Very helpful.
One question, if I export the sequence to compressor in order to deinterlace it and then import it again, will I experience a lot of loss in the quality of the image?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]