FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 exporting compression

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bridgewaters
FCP7 exporting compression
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:47:59 pm

First time poster here, so please forgive me If I seem ignorant of how something work around here.
Here's my issue

I recently recorded a job fair for a local client at 720p on my Canon 60D he also wanted me to record 2 30-40 min long presentation, I told that would be ok but, I would have to record at 480p to save some room, he was ok with that.

So i get home and I start converting all my files to Apple prores422 format to make it compatible with FCP7.

the 480p files are Massively huge about 10.2gb for 15 mins
so my question is how can i compress these files a lot without risking quality.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 exporting compression
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:22:17 pm

That isn't huge at all. That's normal for ProRes. The original files are HIGHLY compressed, which is why they aren't good for editing (well, not in FCP. Premiere does it, but with a LOT of processing help).

Drives are...well, used to be...cheap. Get a 1TB external firewire 800 drive. Plenty of room.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Bridgewaters
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:26:22 pm

the reason why I say they are huge is because my client wants the video posted on youtube. what's a compression type i can converts to with smaller files sizes without quality loss

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:32:42 pm

YOu didn't say that....

:)

For editing, you need to convert the footage to ProRes. If you aren't editing at all, just posting the full video, then H.264 is what you need. Compressor has presets...the QT 7 Streaming LAN one is a good place to start.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:32:52 pm

I think you're discovering that high quality video files are big. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Compression = compromising quality, so the answer to "how can i compress these files a lot without risking quality" is; you can't. If you could, we'd all be doing it.

;-)

Return to posts index

Alex Bridgewaters
on Nov 10, 2011 at 7:06:11 pm

NO...right I get that how res files are gonna be big however I just downloaded some clips on the internet that were at 720p at 10 mins long @ 67.2mb were as a my 15min 480p video is 10.2gb. that makes me say WTF and how can I get my files to be that manageable.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 10, 2011 at 9:03:18 pm

Educating yourself when it comes to producing video. There is a lot to learn.

Here's a very quick lesson. FCP likes full res video. That can be DV, ProREs, DVC Pro HD, etc.
When you are finished with your edit, you will export your timeline into a self-contained QuickTime Movie. Next step, drop that file into Compressor and as the name states, Compress that file into something else. A popular format for YouTube happens to be h.264. Since videos come in various lengths, you have the option of customizing the bit rate. There is a trade off between quality and quantity. For shorter videos, it's not much an issue. How well the video was shot and edited also helps too.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]