FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing RED footage into FCP &

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian egeston
Importing RED footage into FCP &
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:06:47 am

Is this an easy question? I'm transferring RED camera footage into FCP 7. What's the general consensus, should I log and transfer as Native or Apple ProRes 4444. Any suggestions. It's a 30 min sitcom. Thanks.

BE

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Importing RED footage into FCP &
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:09:21 am

Definitely not native.

What is your plan for finishing?

Return to posts index

Brian egeston
on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:42:22 pm

It will be broadcast on a TV network in HD and burned to DVD. Watched a Youtube video where a FPC Trainer recommended Native. Guess I've got to go back and re Log and Transfer a terabyte of footage. Crap.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 10, 2011 at 2:44:17 pm

You can use native, but the real time playback is pretty dismal.

I'd suggest ProResLT for your offline.

Are you going to be color correcting this? Where?

Return to posts index

Brian egeston
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:30:12 pm

That's the problem I ran into. The playback is beyond dismal. It's awful. I can't tell if the audio is properly synced because playback is so choppy. The trainer suggested native because I would be able to color correct in the RED raw files, so that's where I had planned to color correct. Should I log and transfer all over again?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:48:26 pm

[Brian egeston] "That's the problem I ran into. The playback is beyond dismal. It's awful. I can't tell if the audio is properly synced because playback is so choppy. "

Yep.

[Brian egeston] "he trainer suggested native because I would be able to color correct in the RED raw files, so that's where I had planned to color correct. Should I log and transfer all over again?
"

This is why I keep asking what app are you planning to Color Correct with?

I would bring those files in as ProResLT, yes. Plan on doing an offline/online (it's pretty easy in FCP terms).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian egeston
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:54:11 pm

Oh sorry. I was planning on color correcting in Final Cut Studio's Color application.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:27:31 pm

[Brian egeston] "Oh sorry. I was planning on color correcting in Final Cut Studio's Color application."

Got ya, then yes, Log and Transfer using ProRes LT. When you send the final timeline over to Color, it will autolink to the R3D files for grading. It's very easy. Don't use the native setting.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]