FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 24 frame Quicktime Export Problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Davis
Final Cut Pro 24 frame Quicktime Export Problems
on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:22:11 am

Hello everyone!

This is my first post to Creative Cow and I hope the someone may be able to verify if I'm not crazy!

I have been a pro user to FCP for a few years now and this is the first time I have ever seen this export problem. Let me give you a little background info about the workflow and the problem I'm having is at the last part of the pipeline. Here goes...

This past month my company aquired a new film scanner and we are making BD dalies for the client. Here is the workflow.

The scanner scans DPX files to the server and well as making a Photo JPEG Quicktime movie for offline editing. A automation converts the Photo JPEG QT file to a ProRes 422 file so that we may do audio syncing in FCP

The client wants to see a best light color correction on the dalies so we ingest the Photo JPEG Quicktime file into our Quantel Pablo for color.

I forgot to tell you, this is a full 24frame workflow. We are working at 24psf.

After the syncing and color is done, we play the color corrected footage out of the Quantel Pablo and capture the footage directly into FCP using a KONA 3 I/O card at 24psf with the Non-controllable device setup.

After all the reels are captured we place the color corrected footage captured from the Pablo over the ProRes synced footage as a new layer making sure that the sequence timecode matches the visual time code on the files that were captured from Pablo. Now here is the problem I'm having.

We export the files to new ProRes 422 files and the first frame of the new file has slipped by 3 frames. The embedded timecode on the quicktime is correct from the FCP sequence but visual TC from the Pablo capture has slipped 3 frames. Remembring that I captured the footage from the Pablo as a Non-Controllable device.

So what I'm really trying to say is, has anyone had slipping on exporting 24psf Quicktime from FCP7?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Final Cut Pro 24 frame Quicktime Export Problems
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:42:00 am

[Mike Davis] "After all the reels are captured we place the color corrected footage captured from the Pablo over the ProRes synced footage as a new layer making sure that the sequence timecode matches the visual time code on the files that were captured from Pablo."

I guess my question back to you is where is the tc coming from if capturing non controllable?

Return to posts index

Mike Davis
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:26:28 am

We are capturing the video wild from our Pablo. FCP using capture now. I'm thinking that since there is no Timecode associated with the clip, maybe that's where the problem may lie. We could go to tape but our schedule is very tight getting these dailies to the client. We are just trying to shorten our I/O time if you get where I'm coming from. If our Pablo made ProRes422 files this would not be a problem but since Windows does not have a ProRes422 encoder I'm stuck with I/Oing it from the PAblo wild.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:36:19 am

I hear you.

[Mike Davis] "We are capturing the video wild from our Pablo. FCP using capture now. I'm thinking that since there is no Timecode associated with the clip, maybe that's where the problem may lie. "

That would be my guess.

Does the Pablo have ltc or rss 422 out? Rp188?

As a test, try AJA VTR exchange which can read tc over SDI or rs422 with no control unlike FCP (free from AJA).

Maybe consider a ki pro as well. Also accepts ltc, serial, or SDI and records to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Mike Davis
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:03:25 am

Here is another weird thing, it is only the video which is slipping. The audio is not. We are using WAV files from the production unit. Everything in on a local XRAID via 2gb fiber channel. The only work around that I have found is it slip the video down 3 frames and leaving the audio where it stands in the timeline. Once I export the new file from FCP the audio, video & TC all line up correctly. Just a pain in the butt I guess. The Pablo does have 422 control, that's what we use for out layoffs to HDCAMSR & D5, etc... The Pablo does not generate time code internally. I've made sure that our trilevel sync is all matching throughout the systems in use all at 24 sync. I just don't have a lot of time to do testing on the account that there is between 1.5 and 2 hours of film coming in each day.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:25:35 am

I'm still confused how tc matches from your Kona captures when there's no timecode coming in, or are you just matching a burn?

The capture now is the wild card here.

I'd try VTR Exchange, and see if you get better accuracy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]